Is it worth it to get a high end MacBook instead if the baseline white MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by booste, Mar 28, 2009.

1. booste macrumors member

booste

I was previously thinking about getting a refurb white MacBook, but after thinking about it I really do want a uni one, so is it worth it to buy a refurb 2.4 MacBook instead?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Why don't you just get a refurb 2.0 Unibody? You get the new style AND you save a bit over getting the 2.4.

Of course, if the backlit keyboard, larger stock hard drive and the small CPU increase really intrigue you like it did me...well, there you go. :D

3. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Personally I don't think its really worth it to pay for upgrades in areas such as ram or processor power. The processor upgrades provide for only small performance changes and you can easily upgrade your ram on your own time for way less money. Furthermore, you can always buy an external monitor if you want a larger screen.

Edit: PS, paying for a large hard drive makes no sense just get an external 1 TB hard drive on the cheap and be all set for storage, period.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well, at least for me, the CPU actually does make a difference, and it is noticeable, but again, that is just for me and what I have experienced. The RAM I agree with you, and is the reason why I haven't upgraded mine yet, I'm waiting for it to drop below $70 CAD.

Your point about the external drive is valid, although it can be a bit inconvenient having to be tethered to a drive all the time if you're gonna use it for storing all your files. That's why I'd rather have a larger internal drive, rather than having a large external.

5. svndmvn Guest

Performance is kind of subjective, it all depends on the owner.. Unibodies have faster ram and this influences on the graphics performance as well, since it's shared memory. A 2.4GHz CPU is better than a 2.0GHz, a bigger or a faster hard-drive, an SSD will have a huge impact on performance. A 1TB HD isn't really mobile, which is what a 13,3" is about. An external, usb powered, HD is the way to go if you need stuff on-the-go. As I was saying, the bigger the internal one, the better the results.
    That said, the 2.4 is probably not the best in terms of value for your money, but if you can afford a refurb, it's not a bad choice at all. The 2.0 unibody is actually the best one if you can do without FW.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Either a new whitebook with nvidia graphics or a refurb unibody 2.0 ghz.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, the price difference between the white MacBook ($999) and the high-end MacBook ($1600) isn't worth it if you're basing it on specs.

Now if "pretty" is a large enough factor, then I think the $1299 version may be worth it. The $600 difference between the low and high ends is probably due to the difference in CPU pricing.

The difference in CPU pricing between higher-end laptop CPUs is even worse. You pay a lot more to get very little in return other than bragging rights for a month.