Is it worth it to hire someone to do SEO for your site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jdesign, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jdesign macrumors member

I know its early for me to ask this question as i just published my website days ago, so it won't show on google listing yet. But i want to know if anyone has used / experience / knowledge on using SEO services ?

I'm a designer with an average knowledge of html coding and average knowledge of SEO ( putting alt name , meta tags, H1 heads, etc ) but in my experience on doing websites my websites doesn't rank well . :D
    i know that to be able to rank well you need lots of back links. Something that i don't know how to do actually ...

So my question is does SEO services really works, or it's something that I already know of? is it worth it to pay $5000 to let someone do it ?

my site is www.forgetmenotwedding.com .. and noo i'm not publishing it for traffic!!!

on SEO point of view i've still have lot to work on it but I want to publish it early so i can get more clients ;P .. So be nice please...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking make money off the site, then yeah perhaps.

Also how you created your site will dictate how quick (or if at all) your site will hit google. For instance, iweb creates html that's quite SEO unfriendly so the bots typically fail to properly index your site. I'm not sure if paying someone to help would be beneficial in that specific case. My point is first make sure your site is producing SEO friendly code, then wait a little bit and see what occurs.

3. jumplittlechloe macrumors member

4. designguy79 macrumors 6502

There are too many variables to be able to give you a solidified "yes" or "no" answer...
    • Business model for your web site in general
    • Quality of service by the SEO company
    • Market you are targetting
    • etc

The people I know who are awesome at SEO are the ones making the big bucks so you can't really hire them for $500. The companies you pay $500 to have to have hundreds of other clients, so don't expect top-notch service.

Stay away from companies who "guarantee" you first-page results (unless all they are doing is reselling Google ads, in which case, it is not really SEO). More than likely, they are using iffy techniques that could get you blacklisted/penalized with Google.

Getting back-links is not as hard as it sounds. Quality back-links are harder to come by, but the key here is quality content. (see the other thread that just popped up about traffic in general)

Good luck!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most SEO companies are useless.

Did you design your site with HTML?

A lot of the blogging platforms has plugin support for SEO. You probably need to submit your site and get some real inbound links (not from comments or forums which have search engine link juice turned off).

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I personally believe with some research, you yourself can do the exact same things that an SEO expert can. With that said, if you're too busy working on your business, it might be a good time to find someone. Much of SEO, SEM, SMM is busy work. I've worked with 4 or 5 Internet Marketing experts over the years and I've only found one that was good. So I hired him to work with us :)

7. jdesign thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the inputs guys, It really means a lot for me!
    @maflynn, @jumplittlechloe . I'm not using iweb, just building it manually.

@designguy79, @Consultant, @ChicoWeb.. yes that is what i'm afraid off, paying top dollar for SEO company which in reality does nothing or using some black hat technique. I don't mind paying extra for those service, but I don't know which service / company to choose. So at the moment i'll just do some research, tidy up my html and also plan to use wordpress on one of my page.. and see how it goes.

thank u again!

8. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I'm totally diggin' your cinematic video skills. :D

9. jdesign thread starter macrumors member

thanks , saw pictures of your office love it!