Is it worth it to pay for the 1TB SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxray, Nov 8, 2018.

1. xxray macrumors 6502a

I have a 512GB SSD in my current laptop, and it's 70% full, which is a little too close to comfort for me. However, I also have a hard time paying $400 for the difference, especially when the latest Samsung 1TB External SSDs are $150 less, but that'd also mean I'd have to deal with carrying around an external SSD if it came to that.

How'd you decide?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If need the storage and don't want to deal with external drives yes. Its really a personal decision that only you can make. Personally, I'd not pay for it, but that's just me.

3. rcdfox macrumors newbie

rcdfox

For what its worth, I recently bought a 1TB ssd internal hard drive for about $150 and an external case for about $10 both through Amazon. The drive brand I bought was Crucial if that matters to you.

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

I faced a similar choice. I determined what was taking up most of the space, using DaisyDisk. that let me determine if the major space users were critical (Documents) or not (Movies, Photos, etc.). I determined about 50% of my disk usage were files that could be offloaded to an external drive. As a result, I stayed with the 512GB SSD and use an external drive for storage of the non-critical files.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

My option was to get a NAS. From ALL of my computers I can perform backups (Time Machine and other backup programs), and have storage folders for videos and photos I shoot. Also, the NAS automatically backups up the data off-site.

For me, I would only go with a bigger internal drive if I needed to constantly access the data stored on the drive. I would never use it to store data I very seldom used, "just in case I need it".

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

For me this question is answered by whether or not I’ll be doing video editing on the go, where are you going to need (or at least want) a ton of storage space all built-in for the best experience and convenience.

Nothing sucks more in laptop life than getting anywhere close to your storage limitations when you’re trying to accomplish some work.