Is it worth it to replace my 2008 BlackBook with a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hurricanekate2, Jun 2, 2010.

1. hurricanekate2 macrumors newbie

I have an early 2008 black MacBook (4,1)--2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HDD. Lately it's been feeling sluggish, and I have that insatiable gadget lust I'm sure you're all familiar with. I figure I can get close to $900 for it on eBay--in addition to the upgraded RAM/HDD, it has AppleCare through April 2011, a month-old battery, and a brand new topcase (so it is in good cosmetic condition). I have all the original packaging, plus Snow Leopard. I've also sold a few laptops on eBay before and have good feedback.

My college student status expires in a week. Through the education store, a 2.4GHz MacBook with AppleCare is $1,282, plus I'd upgrade the HDD immediately, so that's an additional $100. (So I'm looking at a total of $500 out-of-pocket expenses to upgrade.)

Probably a stupid question, but am I going to see any performance gains, considering the processor/RAM/HDD will be exactly the same? I use my computer for the standard stuff, plus a lot of DVD ripping/encoding and occasional Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. The MPB has FW800--how much of a difference is that going to make for FCP?

I wanted to wait until the 13" MBP had an upgraded processor, but the longer I wait the less I'm going to get for the MacBook. (Plus I'm about to lose education status.)

2. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

well basically you are paying the $500 for:

- Aluminium Unibody
    - Glass Trackpad
    - nVidia 320M
    - DDR3 RAM
    - Glossy Screen

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then shell out for an upgrade, or wait until your AppleCare runs out on your Black MacBook then upgrade, as it would probably make it more worthwhile

3. seven7seven macrumors regular

Sounds pretty pointless to me.
    If it is really feeling sluggish try restoring the whole thing - you'd have to start fresh on a new MBP anyways