Is it worth it to sell my system?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MollyG87, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MollyG87 macrumors newbie

MollyG87

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro. My brother in law put in a 1TB hard drive about a year and a half ago, but it still only has the DDR3 memory and Its rather slow compared to my Note 8 smartphone. I honestly rarely use my Computer these days. Would it be worth it to sell it?

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Depends on what you think "worth it" is. You could probably still get a few hundred bucks for it on eBay, especially if it is still in good cosmetic condition. You'd just have to search eBay and see what one like yours is selling for--take good photos of your product and make a good description, and you should get a sale, especially on an Apple product. On the other hand, you don't use a computer much, but you may still need one on occasion, in which case, you have one now. It would be a shame to sell what you have only to find you need a computer again.

3. vemac575 macrumors regular

vemac575

Probably not. Nevermind the size of the hard drive. If it's not an SSD, it doesn't matter. It'd be more worth it to install an SSD and give it new life. I have a 2017 15" specked out and still use my 2010 13" sometimes. It's obviously slower, but not by a lot. You can at least use it for media.

If you decide to sell it, I'd be surprised if you got more than 250-300.

4. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Personally, for the amount of money you could get out of selling an 8 y.o. laptop, I wouldn't even bother. Probably worth to keep it as a backup machine, for the occasional cases when you need to use a proper computer.

5. killawat macrumors 65816

Size & Condition? A 17" goes for good money to this day.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Replace your hard drive with an ssd and it’ll be much, and may get another year or two. Whether that’s worth it for you on an 8 year old Mac is your call but my brother still uses my old 2010 with ssd as his daily computer.