Is it worth it to update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TWD98j, Jul 15, 2011.

1. TWD98j macrumors regular

I'm still using my 32GB 3GS from launch day 2009, as I eagerly await the new 2011 model iPhone, whatever it ends up becoming. In any event, I'm still running iOS 4.2.1 and, after noticing today's debut of 4.3.4, I was wondering if there's any worthwhile reason for me to update the software? I don't have Apple TV so I can't make use of airplay, and personal hotspot isn't something I can even make use of, not that I would care to anyway. For those of you who have the most recent update, does it do anything for system performance or for battery life?

Like I said, 4.2.1 was the last time I updated, and I wasn't really planning on updating the software again (just waiting for iOS 5 on the new hardware - whenever they decide to release it), but since it seems I'm going to have to continue to rely on my 3GS for the time being, and foreseeable future until we get some sort of announcement, is it worth it to update?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you don't need the new features like AirPlay (and others) and dont care about security fixes, might as well just wait for iOS 5

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

4. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Literally the only thing 4.3.4 does differently from 4.3.3 is stop you from using JailbreakMe.com to jailbreak your phone thru Safari.

5. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

If you're unjailbroken, you may as well. (which I assume you're not).

For anyone jailbroken it's obviously not worth it, even if there was a jailbreak it's not really worth the effort imo of backing up/reinstalling etc.

6. DKTacts macrumors member

^^ This - I'm just staying on my old iOS from awhile ago just because it's not worth it for me to update and lose all of the current functionality I have with my phone. But if your phone is not jailbroken, you might as well.

7. TWD98j thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses, and no I've never been JB on either my 3GS nor on my original.

I was just wondering if updating to 4.3 and beyond had any benefit (such as performance speed or battery life, perhaps) to a 3GS that would make it worth updating from 4.2.

And I'm not even sure that I will want to put iOS 5 on my 3GS when it rolls out. I know that Apple said it would be compatible, but they didn't state exactly how compatible it would be. I'm sure that there will be a few iOS 5 features that the 3GS won't be able to handle or won't be privy to. Apple didn't specify anything at WWDC regarding this - all they said was it will be compatible - but I'd be surprised if, by the time they roll out iOS 5, a few features aren't omitted, due to hardware limitations or otherwise.

And who knows exactly how well the 3GS will even be able to run iOS 5? Kind of like how iOS 4 technically "worked" on the 3G, but I'm sure that 3G owners who went with it, will concur that it wasn't pretty. My growing suspicion is that iOS 5 on a 3GS will either be somewhat stripped down - to accommodate hardware limitations - or rather unpretty itself. Time will tell.

In any event, I think I'll go ahead and give the update a try, just so that I'm not running 4.2.1 anymore.

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

As far as ios5 betas go, I haven't seen anything in there that's earth shattering (notifications aside if that's important to you), but it stands to reason each upgrade you add beyond where you are, is going to slow your phone down. I'm on 4.3.3 (jailbroke) and am quite happy, but it IS slower than it was on 4.2.1.