Is it worth it to upgrade from a radeon 9000 pro to a radeon 9800 pro?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by raysfan81, Aug 23, 2010.

1. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I'm just wondering if I would see any appreciable difference between the two cards because I have a chance to acquire one for $60 (a flashed PC version I think). Also would the PSU in my MDD be able to handle that card and a dual 1.42 processor?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Definitely it's worth it (performance wise). You'll see great difference between these two cards, even in Finder. PSU will handle it with no probs, with or without 1.42 upgrade.
    IMO 9800 is best bang tor buck gfx upgrade for G4/G5 systems.

3. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Totally agree. This is a very nice choice for a MDD. Not only is it simply faster with a wider and faster memory bus, but unlike the Radeon 9000, it will provide you with hardware acceleration for Core Image under Leopard, further improving overall performance.

Gorgeous Quartz Extreme rendering and very smooth OpenGL. Very nice card and $60 is a very very good value.

Of course, this card will produce more heat than your Radeon 9000 and the AGP is positioned such that the card's fan will be sending that heat to your CPU's heatsink. This makes CHUD even more important. I currently have two MDD dual 1.42's--One with a Radeon 9800 Pro and one with a Radeon 9700 Pro. On both of mine, I installed an extra fan between the heatsink and the back case. It's positioned high enough to immediatly vent any heat generated by the Radeon, but it also helps pull cool air across the heatsink.

If I ever redo it, I'll use two fans similar to what this person did. For now, though, the single extra fan combined with CHUD keeps my temp well below any cause for concern. The biggest difference came with CHUD.

4. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

What is a normal Temperature for the single 1.25 v the dual 1.42 and what is too high, now that I got Temperature Monitor working I can finally tell how hot my system is! :)

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

totally worth it.

second that. used a 9800 to play all the way through Quake 4 several times with only a bit of slow down in the crazy 'monsters everywhere' rooms...

Arctic Cooling makes an excellent (but wide, covers the adjacent slot) cooler for the 9800 series, and it blows the hot air out the back instead of back into the computer case. used one forever, and would recommend it. best of luck.

6. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

62C is the point where the main system fan is told to kick into highest speed. I've seen people post that they are running higher temperatures, but those chips are probably not long for this world.

With Temperature Monitor running (the main app, not the lite version), select "Show Overview" from the window menu. This should give you the specified upper limit.

7. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I finally got my dual 1.42 cpu and it should be to me by Friday or Saturday.

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Third that. Core image helps a lot and the 9800 is a much much better gaming card. I have a flashed Geforce 6200 which is better than a 9000 but the 9800 blows it away.