Is it worth it to upgrade from iOS 4.1 to 4.3.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DanggxAmanda, Apr 5, 2011.

1. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Like I said, is it? I just hate the hassle of re downloading games and apps and organizing the pages. Is there any significant reason to upgrade that's new in 4.3.1?

2. Aaron1021 macrumors member

That's exactly what I did. I went from 4.1 to 4.3.1. I don't regret doing it, but at the same time, if I had known what I do now, I wouldn't have upgraded. I did it mostly for the faster safari, and while it is a little faster, I haven't really noticed a difference. Also, some themes or parts of themes don't work right on 4.3.1. Just my .02.

3. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

In my case I just want to update to fix the damn Daylight savings bug.

I'll wait a week before doing it. The servers are being slammed hard right now.

4. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Supposed better battery life, use of the Personal Hotspot feature, and faster safari would be the main reasons I'd have interest in it, but doesn't really seem like enough.

I'll hang on to 4.1 for now.

5. pmcb macrumors member

Did it, the only thing annoying me is it shows I have 1 bar signal, annoying but a fix is supposedly in the works.

Safari seems faster but I don't know what my signal strength is so...:mad:

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Let others beta test. Personally, I'll wait a few weeks for things before installing.
    Interesting that you mention redoing your folders. I just upgraded to 4.2.1. After I restored from backup, everything was there: folders, mail accounts, push settings, etc. The only thing not there was my lock code, but the phone asked if I wanted to add one when I opened it up.
    Anyway, as long as you have a recent backup, it'll almost be like restoring with time machine.

7. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've noticed a very noticeable different in battery life since upgrading. It's much much better. For me I have a lot more improvements since I was on 4.0. I am happy I went and upgraded.

8. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Agreed, I went from 4.0.1 to 4.3.1 and notice a huge difference in the all around performance and battery life.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Interesting. I left my iPhone on 4.3.1 (jb with Redsn0w) overnight starting with a 100% charge. When I woke up this morning, still at 100%. In the past I would see overnight loss of battery, so this was great to see.

It's hard to really gauge usage until you've had the iPhone "settled in" for a while. Most of us are banging on it pretty hard with all the tweaking during the upgrade and rejailbreak process.

10. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I use my iPhone constantly. On 4.0 I would constantly see the battery percentage drop. Again, after upgrading to 4.3.1 I made it a point to watch to percentage and it drops down much less. Like you I had my iPhone off the charger last night before bed at 100 percent and at 8 AM I still had 100 percent and was able to do my morning routine (site checking etc) and it dropped down 1 percent after a good 10 minutes. LOVE IT.

Ohh and Safari is noticeably faster too!

11. dehory macrumors regular

Just tried JBing my AT&T iPhone 4 (iOS 4.1. BB 1.59.00) with Pwnage Tool. First time, I had a crash-on-open problem with Cydia (but had service). Baked a second IPSW and tried again, but then I had no service (1 bar, no AT&T carrier logo, voice/data didn't work).

I've been JBing exclusively with Pwnage Tool since iOS 1.1.4 and this is the first time I've had any serious issues with it. I'm now trying the JB through Redsn0w, using TinyUmbrella to preserve the BB. However, for people who are content with 4.2 or 4.1, I would highly recommend sticking with what they're on until these issues are ironed out.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im gonna take the plunge probably soon like The cat above said.
    Let the others beta test everything first for a few weeks.
    The only thing interests me to to go 4.3.1 from 4.1 is the free mobile me and the personal hotspot and probably a few bug fixes and a little faster Safari.

13. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I'd wait a week or so. May do it this weekend. Already we have seen a bunch of updates for compatibility.

14. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I went from 4.1 to 4.3.1 to get a fresh start because my iPhone 4 was feeling sluggish.

Battery life seems better. I say do it

15. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

dido that!

16. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I'm thinking about doing this as well.

If I don't care about preserving baseband, update to 4.3.1 with iTunes, and jailbreak with redsn0w, will my jailbreak apps remain installed? I know on at least one or two other jailbreaks that was the case, but it looks like redsn0w might do a restore from DFU mode in the last step? If that's the case, it'd wipe out jailbreak data.

17. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Use one of the backup programs. AFAIK, there's a free and a paid one. I haven't tried either, but I hear better better comments for the paid one.