is it worth it to upgrade MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ansabakhan, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

    ansabakhan

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #1
    i just bought a 17 inch and 13 inch macbook pro couple of months back !

    17 inch = 2.8 GHz , 4 gb , 500 GB, anti-glare 3 years warranty
    13 inch = 2.53 Ghz , 4GB , 250 GB


    my question is it is worth in to sell my laptops on ebay (so i can get a good value before they are too old) and get the new one's out ... is it worth it to spend around $700 on a 17 inch to upgrade and $500 for 13 inch

    i want to upgarde at some point but do you guys think holding these laptops for more then 6 months or so from now would lose a lot of value ?

    thanks
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #3
    Well what do you use your current Macbook Pro's for? If its just basic stuff like email, web, iTunes, etc. the new i5/i7's won't matter much, the Core 2 Duos can handle that fine.
     
  4. StEvEnGtR macrumors member

    StEvEnGtR

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #4
    Well, you'd be spending $1,200 on a different processor and a different GPU.
    Depends on your needs if it's worth it.
     
  5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

    ansabakhan

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #5
    i use my laptops for some video editing as well as internet , BUT my concern is keeping the old model for too long.... would the old once lost value too quick ? i was thinking of keeing if for another 6 months or so ..how much valuw will they lose in 6 months ?
     
  6. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #6
    The biggest loss in its value happened already on Tuesday... It won't lose much if any value in next 6 months
     
  7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

    ansabakhan

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #7

    lol .. ok that means if i didn't sell if before Tuesday, i can hold on it to for another few months and not much will change !
     
  8. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #8
    yes, shouldnt change too much in the next few months. Of course if you add any additional wear and tear (more scratches/dents etc.) that'll lower the resale value usually :)
     
  9. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

    ansabakhan

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #9
    yes ill try taking care of it ! i just bought them in jan and feb so i dont want to sell it right away and they are still new ... but i didnt want to lose a lot our too .. i am sure there are others in my situation too !
     
  10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #10
    Yea definitely, I change computers once every few months lol (can't seem to stop trying new ones) so I understand your concern for the resale value.
     
  11. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

    ansabakhan

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #11
    totally ... ! so .... are you going to update to the new ones?
     
  12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #12
    I was considering updating, but then I just decided to get a nice SSD for my 17" MBP.
     
  13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

    SchneiderMan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    Apple state
    #13
    I multitask big time and get at least one beach ball a day, i have a geekbench of about 1700 on my 2.4Ghz 4Gb ram. I think i need to upgrade.
     

Share This Page