Is it worth it trying to run iOS4 on a 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gmcube, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Gmcube macrumors regular

Ive heard a lot of slowdown you get trying to run it on 3G, is this still the case? Or should I just stick with what I have?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

4. BrokeMyi macrumors newbie

4.0 Has alot of added bells and whistles, but 3.1.3 is still a great firmware.
    Two of the techs here use a 3g with 4.0 firmware, no complaints so far :)

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

DO NOT upgrade. iOS 4 will make you tear your hair out. The 3G is nowhere near to the speed to run iOS 4 in any form.

6. sportster macrumors 6502

Not worth the upgrade!

We had a 3g that was upgraded to 4.0.1 and had nothing but trobles with it. Stay at 3.1.3, wish we would have...

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. iTak3n macrumors newbie

I'm going with the others, and saying stay also. Yes it ads some benefits, but with my experience, it did slow down my phone drastically. If you can deal without Folders, SMS text count, etc. Stay.

9. Gmcube thread starter macrumors regular

*sigh* I was totally going to listen to you guy's advice and stay back, but while updating some things in cydia my iphone got stuck on its boot sequence, it wouldn't go past the apple logo. seemed my only choice was to update to the new firmware, whether I wanted to or not. Since I lost all my jailbroken apps anyway I figured I might as well anyway.

jailbroke with jailbreakme, which was surprisingly painless. So far my main complaint is the text lag. I have turned off the spotlight search on everything since I heard it can help. no difference so far though.

10. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

samething happened to me today...i actually just got back from ratshack with my new iphone 4...i took my 3g to turn in, so i tried and restore it back to 3.1.3.

Came up with a error and made me upgrade to 4.0.1. Which i did.

I played with it for a few mins and SOOO glad i was getting a new phone...the text lagged, the phone took a while to boot up...even sliding the unlock slider lagged a sec.

11. Unteligent1 macrumors newbie

I would say do NOT upgrade to iOS4. Granted, you get folders and the email is different, but I would say neither are worth how sluggish it made my 3G.. I did not know you could restore back to 3.1.3 and I would if I weren't getting an iPhone 4 today :D