Is it worth it upgrading my MBP 2011(early)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjvdn, Oct 26, 2015.

1. jjvdn macrumors newbie

My spec on my MPB 2011(early) is 2.7 GHz intel core i7, 16GB ram( which i upgraded from 4GB), about to swap out my old HD for a Samsung Evo 850 500Gb SSD. I want to know is it worth it for all these upgrades because I was going to also install another Samsung Evo 850 500gb SSD by replacing my optical drive( since I never used it ever). I notice that the MBP 2011 (early) have only one fan compared to the late one. Like many other 2011 MPB user, I have a heating problem as well. Even doing simple task like browsing the internet, sometimes my fan would run at a high RPM (making extremely loud sound). That problem kind of clear away when I upgraded to the higher RAMS, but sometime it still heat up and make a bit of sound. So should i continue with all these upgrade with the 2 SSD or should I just buy like a mid 2012 MBP?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I don't think there is a reason to upgrade to the 2012.

3. dk206 macrumors regular

depends on what you want to do on it. I was going to literally throw away/ebay my old macbook pro 13" since I've bought a MBPr "15 2014 last year. However i've spent £150 on replacing battery, upgrading ram and installing SSD and it just flies,
    so i've decided to sell my tablet and iPad and using this as my lounge-ware. (light gaming, surfing, watching videos via Chromecast)

Very happy with my investment and i'm sure it'll last another 3 - 4 years.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You haven't really provided any information in order for us to attempt to gauge if it would be worthwhile to you but a 2012 wouldn't be much of an upgrade IMO.

It's not a "problem" and you'll never get rid of it. Browsing isn't always "simple" and it's really a matter of the resouces being consumed.

5. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I also upgraded the RAM in my 2011, but the major performance increase came when I installed the 1TB Samsung SSD.

My 2011 had the Graphics problem which was repaired at the flat rate price of about $300, which was later refunded by Apple.

As a precaution I use gfxCardStatus selected to "Intergrated Only".
    https://gfx.io/

6. jjvdn thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you ever had a heating problem? And if you did after installing the 1TB SSD does the heating problem ever occur again? I was downloading dota 2 today and my fan started revving up very high making a loud fan noise for like 15 mins during the download.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Firstly open it up and clean out the dust, secondly realise that as time goes by the internet etc uses more and more resources and requires higher specs and that the fans spin up to cool it down when you are stressing the components, if the fans are spinning they are doping their job, thirdly install adblock and click to flash in safari and see your internet issues lessen considerably.

Lastly if you can do it or get it done a fresh application of thermal paste can work wonders.

8. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

No, no heating problems.

Have you had the repairs done for the graphics issues?

9. jjvdn thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I didn't have the repair done. Never had an issue with that, I just installed the SSD and the fan is revving up really high. I can feel the heat accumulating from the bottom of my laptop and its making the really loud fan noise. Any solution?

10. Daytona 360 macrumors member

Clean out the dust inside your MBP. Grab a can of compressed air and blow clean the fans, the logic board, and all the ports and crevices. Wipe clean the inside of the bottom cover.