Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Help Please, Jul 30, 2011.

  1. Help Please macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Location:
    Iowa
    #1
    I currently have a 13" MacBook Air - Ultimate 2010. I'm a student at a university and enjoyed having the Air for its portability, size, and power. However, now that the 2011 refresh has come out, the price retention of the 2010 models have fallen dramatically (I purchased my Ultimate in January for $1,800 and now you'd be lucky to get $1,200 on eBay.) That's a devaluation of $100/month.

    So, my question is, sell my MacBook Air and upgrade to a 2010 MacBook Pro 15" or just keep my MacBook Air?

    I use my computer to:
    -Play games (WoW, StarCraft 2, and soon to be Star Wars: The Old Republic)
    -Microsoft Office - Word and Excel mainly.
    -Browse the internet
    -Watch Netflix.
    -Listen to Music.
    -Watch YouTube videos.
    -Other general things.

    Is it worth it to sell my Air and spend $200-500 more on a 2010 15" Pro for the added GPU and CPU power, battery life, resale value, bigger and better screen?

    Open to suggestions!
     
  2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #2
    It doesn't seem like anything you do would benefit from the extra power. Also, I am not sure the macbook pro is going to have better resale value, since rumor has it, and I would say it's pretty likely, that 2012 is going to bring new case designs throughout the line, and that will pretty much drop any resale value for the pro as well.

    Unless you really want the bigger screen, I'd stick with the air, since it's better for university and portability etc and you won't see any major difference in what you are using it for.

    Not to mention, if they are going for 1200 on ebay, that means you only end pu with 1050 or 1100 cash after all the fees from ebay and paypal, so how much more would you have to pay for the macbook pro you want?
     
  3. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    #3
    In my opinion you can go broke trying to keep up with all the updates. Ask yourself if your current machine is doing everything you ask it to do on a daily basis. If so then enjoy it and don't try to sell and buy newer.
     
  4. cinek macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2011
  5. Kafka macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #5
    A few months ago I wanted to do something like this too: sell either my ultimate 13"MBA or my 2011 13"MBP in order to get the base 15". In fact all I wanted was a bigger screen and a real GPU.
    I actually bought it, and after much thought I decided the price point and enormous power of the 15" were way above my actual needs and use. It actually felt ridiculous, and besides I barely play games anymore. So I returned it, got my money back, and keep hoping for a non-pro 15" from Apple.

    Let's see what they come up with concerning those slim 15" rumors, but seeing the price of a 13" MBA I'm pretty sure it won't be for me.
     

Share This Page