Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Doxis, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Doxis macrumors newbie

Is it worth to pay 300 euro for 16 gb ram or should I buy an Imac 27 with 8 gb ram?
    I will photoshop, making movies and use after effects,
    Best regards

Sended with tapatalk.

2. szolr macrumors 6502

With After Effects you'll appreciate the best CPU you can afford really. RAM comes after on the priority list.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Glorious wasted monies on premature ram acquisition.

Savor monies, and laugh heartily as you procure sundries from another vendor, save heaps Euro, slide new rams in yourself.

4. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

So you highly recommend that I buy 16 gb ram because of After Effects?

Sended with tapatalk.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Excuse me ... you want to buy iMac with 16GB RAM directly from Apple?

Please ... don't do that .. seriously. Just go with standard 4GB RAM and upgrade the rest of RAM chips yourself, 16GB RAM for iMac today only cost around $150 .. wasting money for Apple's RAM is totally unnecessary.

RAM is the only user-upgradeable component on an iMac, so why not use that privilege? Upgrade the RAM yourself, any 1333MHz SODIMM RAM will do fine, for half or even third from Apple's price.

PS: Not sent from Tapatalk :D

6. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea direct from apple., but I have seen on Youtube that it is pretty hard to remove the screen on the iMac? :0
    Best regards

Sended with tapatalk.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Why on earth do that? :eek:

8. Wreckie macrumors regular

Adding/removing RAM on iMac is easiest thing ever. You don't need to remove screen at all, there are slots downside, which is covered with 2-screw holding cover.

9. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I thought you needed to remove the screen some you have to if you need to change hard drive

Sended with tapatalk.

10. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

What he said! I just bought an i5 with 4GB. Upgraded to 12 (8 more GB) for about $50.

11. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

And the apples ram doesn't got better quality or something?

Sended with tapatalk.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

I bought 8GB Ram from crucial memory for £40 a few weeks ago. In another couple of weeks I shall order 8GB more.

I've never had issues with Crucial.

Sure as hell beats paying £480 to Apple for it...

13. leman macrumors 604

Yes, to change the hard drive. But you want to change RAM, not the harddrive, right?

An no, Apple's RAM is not of higher quality, is the same thing.

14. Wreckie macrumors regular

99.9% of computer units come from China, no matter what brand.

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Nope ... the only thing that's different from your own choice of RAM is official warranty. But then again, it's still not worth enough to pay the difference, plus most RAM chips out there come out with lifetime warranty, just send them back if something's wrong, anytime.

Even on Apple website itself has RAM upgrade guide, which means Apple encourage us to do such procedure .. so please use it at best.

It's your money though, I'm just saying you should spend it well.

16. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot, think i will buy Kingston or some of them, but i have never owned an mac, let's say if you buy an windows of with 2 gb of ram so will you get 32bit system, how is it on ios? Will I get the same ios if i buy an 4GB ram or an 8 gb ram? (I will buy the lowest and then upgrade!)

Sended with tapatalk.
    Www.youtube.com/Kogizu
    Subscribe please

17. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I'm not sure I understand your whole sentence, but do you mean "Will Apple give you the different OSX version or something if you order different RAM amount?"

Answer is nope .. the OSX would remain the same no matter which RAM configuration you choose, FYI .. the name now is "OSX Lion" on Mac system anyway .. iOS is a specific OS for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, totally different. I hope you don't get mixed up with the two.

And since you're going to use more than 4GB RAM anyway, and if you still need Windows on your iMac, I suggest you go with Windows 7 64 bit, it's a crime not to do so, no lesser crime than buying RAM from Apple :cool:

(relax ... just kidding)

18. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea that was what I meaned. If we would get an other osX it we bought an lower system :)

Sended with tapatalk.
    Www.youtube.com/Kogizu
    Subscribe please