Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dave245, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Dave245 macrumors 601

Ok so I currently have a 2011 MacBook Pro, I've been thinking of updating soon and having seen Apple's event I have to say I really like the look of the new MacBook, how would this compare to my 2011 MacBook Pro? Would there be a noticeable difference in the screen (none retina vs retina) and with the SSD vs my current none SSD machine?

I don't use my MacBook Pro for editing or games anymore I have a iMac for that. My current macbook is used mainly for university, writing, watching iTunes content, surfing the web, Facebook, YouTube and that's really about it.

I've had my MacBook Pro since 2011 and if I purchased the new MacBook would it last as long? (4 years and counting).

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If this is all you're using the MBP for then yes you will love the new MacBook Retina. I've used the MBA for over three years for everything you've listed and then some (PhotoShop, iMovie, etc) and it runs 100% fast and smooth.

3. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Think of it as a super powered iPad with a more functional OS.

P.S.: Not to be snarky, but a more descriptive title would be worth it too.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Seeing as how the new Macbook hasn't been released, no one can say how long it will "last." It uses pci-e solid state chips which are somewhat faster than traditional ssd's (all things being equal). If your 2011 machine is still doing what you want it to do, why upgrade?

5. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Mainly because of the retina display and the SSD speeds. My MacBook Pro 2011 is fine for typing and stuff but also isn't as portable as the new Macbook would be, also battery life on the new MacBook would probably be longer.

6. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Right now (not saying this is 100% set in stone for the future), I'd really suggest either the MacBook Air or the 13" Retina MacBook Pro.
    Neither have anywhere near the degree of compromise that the Retina MacBook (currently) has.
    If you were to wait a year or two, then I'm certain the Retina MacBook will probably be the device to go for. But right now, it's far too limited for most people.

7. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

If that's all you will do with it, it's nearly perfect. It's still pretty expensive for something you could also do with an iPad and a good Bluetooth keyboard. The retina display and the fan-less design are definitely sweet aspects. Relatively costly, though, if you'll use it somewhat causally.

8. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

My guess is it will last you as long easily from a technical point of view, but personally I would not pay 1500€ for a laptop that has the same performance as a 2011 i5.

I think Apple really missed the oppertunity to make this a sub-1000€ machine. I would've been sold on that in a heartbeat.

9. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I do have a iPad Air 2 as well which i use for consuming content such as watching iTunes content and Youtube, my iPad i also use to play IOS games. My Macbook Pro 2011 i use to write essays and documents for university among a few other things such as the internet and iPhoto's.

I do think it's a high price but i do get student discount for University so it would drop the price to £905 for entry level and £117.20 for the maxed out version.