Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fonzijr1964, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Is it worth buying a 3.2 Ghz 8 core MacPro on Mac mall with the discount?

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macpro/ (the two last ones at the bottom)

I would just be buying it to buy it.

Is it cheaper to buy the 320GB HDD and upgrade via New Egg to 1TB or just get the 500GB model?
    Is it worth it with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 IDk i want the base card?
    I like Nvidia better personally

Than there is the Apple refub with 2GB of ram and Two Super drives and a 500GB HDD for even less.

Any advice?

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Don't spend if you don't need it, if you really want to get rid of the cash I am sure lots of people need it more than you!

3. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

but i mean is it worth it now or should i wait till MWSF

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Don't buy it if you don't need it, and don't, for the love of humanity, don't buy THIS model with the Nehalem ones only a couple of months away.

But, yes, do not buy just for the sake of buying it.

5. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i feel like i need it besides i think the refurb is worth it 4090 is not bad and i need an upstairs computer but that nehalem factor is scary

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Wait until MacWorld, the savings you make now are pointless compared to the performance boost you'll get once Nehalem is released.

7. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

but that will be expensive

no refubs until prolly march or april

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok well then buy now... If you're not bothered by the big performance boost then go for a machine now that's cheaper by a few hundred dollars, that you've already stated you're only buying for the sake of buying... In all honesty, seems like you're being more awkward than indecisive...

The cost of upgrading to get the machine to the speed of a Nehalem Mac Pro will cost far more than if you just waited and bought a Nehalem Mac Pro...

9. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i see ur point

I will just wait till Macworld

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

ok i think the real question is what you're going to be using it for.:)

I know Anandtech has stated that in everyday tasks, Nehalem will be 10% faster.

If you're working on heavy video rendering and multi-thread apps where every second is precious, then you want to wait for Nehalem where i believe the gains were about 35-40% (correct me if i'm wrong).

11. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

well i want to get into animation and coding but i can code on my iMac

I just dont want a computer with a screen for my room but the Mini is nothing but junk

12. kabelabs macrumors newbie

is it worth it? in one word. no.
    unless it makes you feel good to just buy it, it's not worth it.

13. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

well buying stuff make me feel very good:p

14. kabelabs macrumors newbie

well, by all means then, it's a great deal :rolleyes:

15. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I would have to say so yes

but really IDk if i want to shell out that kinda coin for something completely obsolete, i know all technology is obsolete before u buy it but still this is really obsolete i mean a new one is coming out in a month. I am putting my money on a iMac without a screen type thing at MWSF

16. kabelabs macrumors newbie

obsolete??? omg... did you really type the word obsolete. I hate to tell you but the current MP will be far from obsolete just because a new one is coming down the pipeline.
    the minor gains from the i7 platform aren't going to shove the 2008 MP out the door, into the garbage, or make it a dinosaur by any means.

the current MP will probably do well for several years, as i doubt OSX will be rewritten, nor FCP or logic that will make the current MP unusable and obsolete. The new platform may be a bit faster, but until you've used one in a real production environment, you really can't comprehend the power available even now.

i use a 2 year old MBP, a 2.0, one of the first intel to do field editing and rendering, and it is amazing the difference between it and my Mac Pro, but even though my laptop is 2 years old, it's far from obsolete. i remember doing after effects work with a powerbook, a titanium, and how long it took to render a few minutes of footage, and now how well the intel chips do it.
    the titanium is obsolete. (how many years ago was that?)

17. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

it is still not as advanced as the i7 will be and u dont know what bus speed it will have or if they will re do it all together

18. kabelabs macrumors newbie

advanced does not make the previous obsolete. it's an evolution of the platform.
    if you firmly believe that though, you'd be best off never buying because after the i7 comes out, there will be something even newer and faster, and it will in your terms make the i7 obsolete.

i'll stick with my "obsolete" 2008 mac pro (it works, exists, and makes money)

19. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Just so you know that there have been benchmarks of the early Core i7 processors and that even the 2.8ghz Core i7 had similar results compared to the current 3.2ghz.

So you make the choice, spend a ton of money now on a maxed out 3.2ghz octo OR wait a few weeks and get a comparable system for less then what you paid for.

Not to mention there may be a case re-design, and if you like it, then get it but if your don't, then you will always get a better price on the current gen refurbs.

20. m1stake macrumors 68000

There are still people who are rich enough to buy stuff for the sake of buying stuff in this economy? Warren Buffet, if this is you, please send me $1,000,000 capital, and place it in something that will go UP.

21. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i know what you mean. Believe it or not, over in the Mac peripherals section, a guy was calling the Apple LED display DIRT CHEAP :rolleyes:

22. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i dont think its that bad actually

anyway i will wait