is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stevo8, Jan 4, 2009.

  1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    #1
    I have a MBP 2.0GHz core duo thats maxed out at 2gb RAM, and its a little tired. A new Imac is in the cards later in the spring but after looking around at macbooks it looks like I can easily upgrade from my MPB for fairly cheap. I use a lot of photoshop and lightroom but store all my work on external drives. I have seen several macbooks with 2.1GHz core 2 duo for $600-$700. Which would also support 4GB RAM. So from a rookies perspective I see it as I would be going from a core duo to the core 2 duo, 2gb ram to 4, a little faster processor and a smaller screen(which would be welcomed for travel). Am I over looking anything? Is it worth my time or would I even notice a difference?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    I'd go for a 2.4 GHz MacBook at the very least. You're going to want clock speed and the additional RAM support that the later models offer.
     
  3. CalMin macrumors 6502a

    CalMin

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    #3
    Depends what you do. If it's MS Office or general web stuff then you won't see much. If it's movie editing, heavyweight photoshop or gaming then it would be a nice boost.
     
  4. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    #4
    A lot of photoshop, and lightroom while bouncing back and forth o the web/aim etc.
     
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #5
    I think it boils down now to just how tired you think your current MacBook Pro feels.

    You're going to benefit a lot from raw clock speed and the additional RAM.
     
  6. finnschi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Location:
    Hamburg, Germany
    #6
    You might want to wait fot the Next gen of macbooks.... maybe for the i7 Mobile processor, but only if you don't NEED more speed RIGHT NOW :D

    I would wait for the next gen :D
     
  7. finnschi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Location:
    Hamburg, Germany
    #7
    also consider getting more or FASTER ram for your current MBP! :apple:
     
  8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #8
    They're already at the 2 GB limit of the Core Duo. How would faster RAM help too? :rolleyes:
     
  9. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    #9
    yep Im already tapped out on what I can do. thats the main reason for wanting to upgrade. I think Ill at least wait a little bit since new stuff will be announced shortly and at the least it should have an effect on the used prices and availability.
     

Share This Page