is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stevo8, Jan 4, 2009.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I have a MBP 2.0GHz core duo thats maxed out at 2gb RAM, and its a little tired. A new Imac is in the cards later in the spring but after looking around at macbooks it looks like I can easily upgrade from my MPB for fairly cheap. I use a lot of photoshop and lightroom but store all my work on external drives. I have seen several macbooks with 2.1GHz core 2 duo for $600-$700. Which would also support 4GB RAM. So from a rookies perspective I see it as I would be going from a core duo to the core 2 duo, 2gb ram to 4, a little faster processor and a smaller screen(which would be welcomed for travel). Am I over looking anything? Is it worth my time or would I even notice a difference?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd go for a 2.4 GHz MacBook at the very least. You're going to want clock speed and the additional RAM support that the later models offer.

3. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Depends what you do. If it's MS Office or general web stuff then you won't see much. If it's movie editing, heavyweight photoshop or gaming then it would be a nice boost.

4. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

A lot of photoshop, and lightroom while bouncing back and forth o the web/aim etc.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think it boils down now to just how tired you think your current MacBook Pro feels.

You're going to benefit a lot from raw clock speed and the additional RAM.

6. finnschi macrumors 6502

You might want to wait fot the Next gen of macbooks.... maybe for the i7 Mobile processor, but only if you don't NEED more speed RIGHT NOW :D

I would wait for the next gen :D

7. finnschi macrumors 6502

also consider getting more or FASTER ram for your current MBP! :apple:

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They're already at the 2 GB limit of the Core Duo. How would faster RAM help too? :rolleyes:

9. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

yep Im already tapped out on what I can do. thats the main reason for wanting to upgrade. I think Ill at least wait a little bit since new stuff will be announced shortly and at the least it should have an effect on the used prices and availability.