Is it worth Jailbreaking an iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by harryhood, Aug 27, 2010.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

I had my iPhone 3G jail broken for about a year and my experience with it was that it was pretty sluggish i.e slowed down the phone in a noticeable way.

It was more worth it then when you could get many features that are included now.

Is it really worth Jailbreaking on the iPhone 4? Does it run smoothly? I don't want it to cause any interference with phone calls etc!?

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I dont install any themes or use winterboard. I just install tweaks and utilities that make the phone more efficient in every day use. Phone still is super fast, battery took a minimal hit. My last phone was a jailbroken 3G and its night and day with a JB iPhone 4. The i4 just runs smoothly, I'm happy. No way I would not JB.

3. douflag macrumors member

Only way to find out is to do it. However, I wouldn't suggest doing it at this point. The reason being is that you may not have SHSHs on your current firmware, and if anything goes wrong w/the JB, then you won't be able to restore. Well, you can, but you won't be able to do all that JB/Cydia stuff.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I've been running my iPhone 4 JB'd for a little over a week. I'm only sorry I waited. No issues really, it's certainly not slower or suffering from any type of battery degradation. But all that depends on what you want to run on there. Calls are unaffected.

You can only JB an iPhone 4 that's running 4.0 or 4.0.1 though. My husband got his last weekend, and unfortunately it came with 4.0.2 already installed.

5. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, what little tweaks and utilities make it worthwhile at this point on the iPhone 4?

I think I'm gonna try to use the new http://www.jailbreakme.com site...

hmmm...

6. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

One man's opinion...

TOTALLY WORTH IT!

I waited until about a month ago. I have MyWi working...long overdue. I have 3G which allows FaceTime without a wifi connection. And I do have NineHD theme with the Nexus background: coll looking. Interesting that I dont see a massive battery hit, then again, I keep it plugged in in the car and at my desk.

:cool:

7. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

If you'll do a 2 second search you'll find all your answers and more. I understand it's easy to just make a thread but a bit of effort will net you more.

That being said, there are infinite reasons why you should jailbreak.

8. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

This should help you... Found here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=982990&page=7

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

SBSettings alone would have made it worth it. BiteSMS was the icing on the cake. And I don't bother with Apple's poor implementation of "folders"--I quickly found I preferred Categories/CategoriesSB (others use Infinifolders to get around the built in 12 app per folder limit).

10. mokeiko macrumors 6502

Same here, no Winterboard or Themes, Just tweaksand utilities. I say it's worth it to me.

mokeiko

11. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I would JB, glad i did...made the phone so much better imo.

12. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

too bad it doesn't work on the newest Iphone 4 shipping with 4.02 on it.
    I just got mine today, replacing my 3G, and I'm not looking forward to tracking down all the tools to downgrade and JB it.
    ugh!

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Run a search on here. There are no tools and no options to downgrade an iPhone 4 running 4.0.2. You'll have to wait for the dev team to release a JB for 4.1, as there are no plans to waste an exploit on 4.0.2.

Dev team blog: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1013332740/winning-moves

My husband's in the same situation. He's starting to come around to the idea of JB'ing his phone, but it's running 4.0.2 fresh from the factory.

14. kicksB4chicks macrumors newbie

kicksB4chicks

How do i trick my iphone to think its using WiFi while its using 3G ?

Soo , i havent recieved my iphone4 yet but ive heard there's a ways to trick it into thinking its on Wifi while its really using 3G to avoid using up your data plan , can any one give me good intructions on how to do this ?

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

The data speed would run faster on certain apps but its still using data from your plan, not actual wifi.

16. kicksB4chicks macrumors newbie

kicksB4chicks

Oh ok , i thought there was a away to actually avoid using your data plan by jailbreaking along with doing some other stuff

17. bkingtu83 macrumors member

had my iphone 4 jb for abt 2 weeks. no problems so far, and liking the modding

18. NateEssex macrumors 6502

JB? Absolutely

JB, oh yeah!

MiWi and BiteSMS are two BIG reasons... :D

Lockinfo is really cool. :cool:

My3G is nice. ;)

If you like skins, Winterboard can keep you busy for hours. :eek:

19. green94 macrumors regular

Same situation as you... had a 3G and jailbroke it, but performance was sluggish although I still think it was worth it for Lockinfo alone.

Fast forward to a week ago when LimeRa1n came out... I'm so bored with the iOS and felt it was time to jailbreak again. So glad I did it.

Performance on the i4 is phenomenal and I haven't seen any battery loss to be perfectly honest.

I checked yesterday and I had 16hrs Standby, 6 hours of use and I was at 52% battery life at the end of the night.

Amazing what all of the developers have been able to do in just a few short years.

Awesome experience.

20. buc macrumors member

All i have are sbssettings, MyWi, 3Gunrestrictor, and Intelliscreen. Very worth it just for those 4 apps. I went back and forth wrestling with the decision for over a month and finally did it. Very glad i did...

21. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

MyWi and BiteSMS are worth the JB alone IMO. This plus all the little tweaks you can do make JB'ing your phone a solid bet. I currently use the JBme.com site and not Limera1in/Greenpo1son. Think I'll wait for 4.2 JB to come out and then I"ll update.

22. kicksB4chicks macrumors newbie

kicksB4chicks

so does any one know who to return the iphone4 back to the way it was before installing the Limera1n jailbreak ?