is it worth jailbreaking my iphone6?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blended, Nov 6, 2015.

1. blended macrumors newbie

i've been researching on jailbreaking my phone,but all what i have researched did not convince me at all so i want to seek help from an experienced individual who has jail-broken his phone is it worth is it unstable. help me out please

2. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I'm on the fence as well, it voids your warranty, can get unstable. But you do get feature that are useful. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are kinda unstable at times. Lag.

3. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

Once jailbroken you lose the best feature of ios i.e security

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

+1. Exactly, you lose one of the most important features (security) and opt for instability.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. You. Don't.

The jailbreak itself is the only thing that exploits the phone. Your phone is no more and no less secure than stock.

As to instability you have to understand a few concepts. Unlike the app store, Cydia retains old tweaks and apps because there are still people out there using old versions of iOS that are still jailbreakable.

If you install something intended for iOS 5/6 then yeah, your phone is going to be unstable if you are on iOS 9.

Responsibility for what you install shifts from Apple to you when you jailbreak. The fact that a lot of new jailbreakers cannot seem to understand/handle that and install everything they see without doing any kind of research about it gets reported back as instability.

Since most anti-jailbreakers aren't into fact-checking something that agrees with their opinion they run with it and say that jailbreaks make your phone unstable.

I have had four jailbroken iPhones and stability has only been an issue when I was a newbie jailbreaker, precisely because I never did my homework.

My last jailbroken iPhone was a 6+ with over 60 tweaks and it did just fine. My 6s+ has over 20+ tweaks and is still doing fine.

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

@eyoungren: Thank you for the detailed insight. Nevertheless, let me stick to my original "concept", i.e. jailbreaking is a threat to security of an iPhone. And it starts when you download a software from such sites, like http://en.pangu.io that makes the necessary changes to your device. And followed by downloading applications with Cydia.

7. ftlum macrumors regular

The biggest question is-- is there are there particular tweaks you need that would justify the hassle of jail breaking and missing out on iOS updates while you're waiting for the next jailbreak. I've never had any security issues, myself (just use some common sense precautions).

I actually gave up my 9.02 jailbreak. I didn't find any compelling apps this time around to justify the hassle. Even with Springtomize coming up, there's nothing I really need these days. Browser Changer would be nice, but Safari is less annoying and now has ad blockers. Apple's maps app is good enough such that I don't feel like I need to make things default to Google. One hand wizard wasn't as good as I thought it would be. But the biggest reason I'm not jailbreaking is that I now have cursor control with force / 3D touching the keyboard. Had it not been for that, there would have been just enough reasons to make me jailbreak again.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Respectfully, I have to disagree.

Yes, exploiting the phone to achieve the jailbreak itself is a security issue. But the fallacy is that once a jailbreak is achieved, just anyone can then come along and do what they want to your phone. And that just is not so.

Unless they know of and use the same exploits that the jailbreak devs used security is not compromised. And the devs are not going to reveal those exploits.

Anything installed from Cydia is simply a matter of using the elevated permissions that the jailbreak has given you.

In any case, I believe we stand on opposite sides of the issue and we probably will not convince each other otherwise.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I always manage to find something that makes it worthwhile. I have 20+ tweaks right now and I'm waiting for the rest of the 40 or so I normally use to update.

I get you, because iOS over time has integrated much more (much of which comes from jailbreak tweaks) but there are still far too many annoyances for me. And Apple has the bad habit of using stuff in ways I don't like.

Apple's Quick Reply on the lockscreen for instance is nothing next to the Quick Reply feature of BiteSMS.

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I don't stand on any side. Nevertheless, I have to agree with you, we won't convince each other. No hard feelings.

11. Isamilis macrumors 6502

In short basically: go with jailbreak if you have time and interest to hack your phone and you have very important tweak in your mind, otherwise no need. Security is depend on you instead of Apple. Jailbreak is not for everyone.
    I did jailbreak as I came from Palm and used to install custom ROM etc. I installed only 2 tweaks due to comfortable factors: Tage for closing & switch apps and Speed Intensifier to speed up default UI animation.

12. MsRandall, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I jailbreak for 3 specific tweaks -2 are available on iOS 9 and the 3rd is in beta

As said before your iPhone can be just as stable - usually the instability comes with tweaks not compatible. A little research on here and that won't be a big problem

13. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

+99999999999999999999999

14. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

It's always security issues with any platform thus a jailbreak?
    Here's a question
    1. What is sand box for ios?
    2. Is the sand box compromised jailbroken or non jailbroken

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Noone was comparing iOS JB with other platforms in respect of security.
    Food for (objective) thoughts: https://www.iseclab.org/papers/egele-ndss11.pdf, http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/02/...an-permanently-brick-your-iphone-or-ipad.html, http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-jailbreak-risks,news-18850.html.
    "alpine"

16. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Your point is still moot I was just saying anything has a security issue period jailbroken or not.. That article even proves it more. I can brick any ios if I do some really dumb actions without thinking.

Once again I see you ignored the question.
    1. What is sand box
    2. Is sand box altered with jailbreak

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

This is why "objective" attribute was used. So, no big surprise "the article" proves both views.
    You are mixing roles here.
    And to close this "debate", I would remind you of:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-11-09/australian-admits-creating-first-iphone-virus/1135474
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8373739.stm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeyRaider

18. eyoungren, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just with respect to KeyRaider, this goes back to users compromising their own security by placing themselves in a dumb situation.

Those 225,000 accounts were compromised because those people installed a repo in Cydia known for pirating. That in and of itself would not have infected them, but they then went further and installed a JB app that allowed them to bypass in-app payments as well as download apps from the app store for free.

So, first of all, they had to be of the mindset to commit piracy. Second they had to act on it and third, their actions are what compromised them. Had any of those people stayed away from that then KeyRaider would not have happened to them.

Now they pay the price.

19. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Lol..from your post article:This virus pretty much exploits people's laziness to change their password."

He says his efforts prove that anyone could easily hack into an iPhone.

Any platform from ios, Android , windows , Mac etc has security issues if the owner do things without thinking through it... Geez a jailbroken iPhone can be just as secure as a non jailbroken iPhone it just depends on the owners actions.

Please Google lockscreen bypass iPhone 6 lmao security issues.

20. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

What's sad is that we are saying the same thing but you think that a non jailbroken iPhone is so secure when that has been proven not so...

21. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Again, this concludes, that Jailbreak is not for everyone. But, if you have interest to explore more of iPhone / iOS system internal, then obviously you could make your phone as secured as jailed one. iCoughtU tweak can take picture of the theft and send it to you, features that are still not available out of the box in iOS.