Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
You hate something that you've never tried before.. interesting. And no, it can't damage your iPod Touch. I've jailbroken and unjailbroken my iPod/iPhone over 30 times. Testing hundreds of tweaks. No such problems. Stop making up garbage to scare people.

Can you confirm that if a problem occurs while jailbreaking, the ipod touch can just be restored through itunes and it will work fine after that?

I just dont want to waste $229 if my ipod permanently breaks.

Thanks for the help. :)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Can you confirm that if a problem occurs while jailbreaking, the ipod touch can just be restored through itunes and it will work fine after that?

I just dont want to waste $229 if my ipod permanently breaks.

Thanks for the help. :)

As far as I know, it's impossible to brick an iPod touch without physically damaging it. Even if you managed to wipe all the software somehow, the iPod will still be able to enter DFU mode and be restorable.

nawras94

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
its ************ jailbreak DOESNT harm your device iv never had a problem
theres even a tweak thats make springboard faster
if you dont jailbreak properly you will have problems
only download tools from dev team
chronic or ih8snow beacause they are safe and working jailbreaks others are probably fakes

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
You hate something that you've never tried before.. interesting. And no, it can't damage your iPod Touch. I've jailbroken and unjailbroken my iPod/iPhone over 30 times. Testing hundreds of tweaks. No such problems. Stop making up garbage to scare people.

he probably meant, "apple" HATES jailbreaking, he just used the apple symbol to show it.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

I jailbreaked mine and restored it to original again after some days. iPod touch has only 256mb ram while iPhone has 512mb. Cydia AppS and installous use a lot of memory RAM and i noticed The défice slower than usual and sometimes AppS would Quit randomly but thats not The main problem. The performance is worse only bu a bit so it's not a big deal for most users for the tradeoff of the cost of using cracked apps. I also like to update without having to worry about anything. This is my opinio on jailbreak

^same
i jailbroke mine this morning and restored it this evening. It started freezing up and moving slow. this is the 3rd ipod that started messing up after jailbreaking.....don't do it, it really not worth it.My 2nd gen started having tons of problems after jailbreaking (apps crashing,ipod shutting off randomly,slow lagg,volume going up randomly, music pausing,ect), thank god it was still under warranty.

I have jailbroken my iPod, my sisters and about 2 dozen other kids at schools ipod.(made a boat load of cash with the $10 jailbreaking fee;)) I ended with the same result every time, they would usually install installous and a theme then they deleted cydia using ifile since it slowed down their device. I just got the ipod touch 4 and I will not jailbreak it since the apps that are coming out will need all the resources they can get. Once Saurik figures out a way to make the api for everything or whatever run smoother and with less power then I might jailbreak.

JB, but BE CAREFUL! A lot of tweaks aren't meant for 4.1, and it's easy to go too deep and permanently screw up a device. I've done it twice!

It depends. Often jailbreaking can damage your iPod, which can be very annoying. Also, :apple: absolutely HATE jailbreaking, they want to make jailbreaking illegal (but they couldn't) so don't expect them to fix any problems for you. Jailbreaking can lead to all sorts of joy, but they can lead also to painstaking misery and loss of £200. There are advantages and disadvantages to it. Do it if you're a risk taker.

So as long as i jailbreak using a good source (iClarified) jailbreaking shouldn't harm my itouch at all.

Why are some people claiming JB is a big risk? Did they not follow directions or it may happen everyonce in a while to anyone?

syc23

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
Never felt the need to jailbreak anything. A bit like modifying cars. If it goes wrong then you deserve everything you get whether it's a fried iPod or blown engine in your car.

Mod at your own risk as they say.

dakbeam

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
how to jailbreak

i wan to jailbreak and would like to know eactly how to do it and use it it would be nice if you could give me a step by step guide i have and ipod touch 64gb 4th gen and will it break it ?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Never felt the need to jailbreak anything. A bit like modifying cars. If it goes wrong then you deserve everything you get whether it's a fried iPod or blown engine in your car.

Mod at your own risk as they say.

Thats not exactly an accurate analogy. You cannot fry your iPod by jailbreaking. The OS is loaded in firmware. A simple restore puts the OS back in the same condition as when it was bought.

On that note I jailbreak to have REAL multi-tasking, and not the crap native multi-tasking that is built in. Also, the extra multi-touch gestures. Not to mention themes. No ill effects here to report.

i wan to jailbreak and would like to know eactly how to do it and use it it would be nice if you could give me a step by step guide i have and ipod touch 64gb 4th gen and will it break it ?
http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=15&seid=20

Crigger540

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The Old Dominion
If jailbreaking wasn't worth it we would not be having this discussion and there would not be countless websites devoted to it. Just do it, if you don't like it, restore.

Last edited:

dakbeam

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Thats not exactly an accurate analogy. You cannot fry your iPod by jailbreaking. The OS is loaded in firmware. A simple restore puts the OS back in the same condition as when it was bought.

On that note I jailbreak to have REAL multi-tasking, and not the crap native multi-tasking that is built in. Also, the extra multi-touch gestures. Not to mention themes. No ill effects here to report.

http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=15&seid=20

is this untethered?

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I've never felt the need to jailbreak my 4th gen iPod touch, however others have done so and liked it. It's really up to you.

pickanapple

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
I have jailbroken my iPod, my sisters and about 2 dozen other kids at schools ipod.(made a boat load of cash with the $10 jailbreaking fee;)) I ended with the same result every time, they would usually install installous and a theme then they deleted cydia using ifile since it slowed down their device. I just got the ipod touch 4 and I will not jailbreak it since the apps that are coming out will need all the resources they can get. Once Saurik figures out a way to make the api for everything or whatever run smoother and with less power then I might jailbreak.

i like how you got kids to pay $10 for something that literally takes 5 minutes (not including download time) and for FREE lol

cherrykate

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
NY
Is it worth Jailbreaking the iPod Touch 4G?

I just wanted to know if its worth jailbreaking it. I mean, does Cydia have enough apps that the App Store don't to justify it????

No, it's not. It's too complex, i've seen a video about how to jailbreak iPod Touch 4G from youtube. If you're a novice, try to give it up.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Depends. For an iPod Touch, there's no much point in jailbreaking since you don't have any 3G-related silly limitations. It expands possibilities, but make the device more unstable.

Most likely, it's not worth it.

AlterEgoNL

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Just jailbreak...

Just jailbreak, even IF you ***** up your firmware, there are ALWAYS ways to restore it. Just do it, you'll have more fun of your iphone/ipod/ipad. I think that, without jailbreak, you just own a piece of crap, which you can only do what apple wants.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
If Apple ever adds a way to quickly adjust brightness and toggle WiFi from within any app, I will stop jailbreaking. Until then, SBSettings is essential for me.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

He said Apple hates it.

----------

No, it's not. It's too complex, i've seen a video about how to jailbreak iPod Touch 4G from youtube. If you're a novice, try to give it up.

I've done it on an iPod Touch 3G and it's dead easy these days. You don't even have to look up any tutorials - Just download Redsn0w, plug in the iDevice and follow the prompts.

----------

i like how you got kids to pay $10 for something that literally takes 5 minutes (not including download time) and for FREE lol

Especially since installing tweaks and extensions is harder than actually jailbreaking it initially...

TechcomputerGk.

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Jailbreaking itouch 4

I just wanted to know if its worth jailbreaking it. I mean, does Cydia have enough apps that the App Store don't to justify it????

It is ok, but it is a little slower, because iPods have low ram and a slow A4 processor. I jailbroke mine untethered with red snow (5.0.1) Try this new jailbreak (untethered 5.1.1) Absenth by greenp0isin:apple:

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Not worth it.
Unless you are a kid who loves a lot of bling bling icons and don´t care about your battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.