Is it worth keeping the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mwxiao, Jun 4, 2008.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

I am getting a free iPod Touch along with Back2School promotion. I am not quite sure if I should keep it or just sell it.

The reason to sell: there is a big chance that it will get refreshed later in the summer.
    The reason to keep: I don't think there would be any huge change to the Touch. Probably only the storage will increase.

If you are in the same situation, what would you do?

2. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Since each of your choices are related to what will/might happen in June, you might as well just take it and wait until july to decide.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The only "refresh" will probably be a price drop (with the 8 Gig EOL'd) and the inclusion of the 2.0 software.

You'll more than likely have to pay a fee to update to the next sofware rev.

If I had a chance to get one, I've would've paid the extra $100 for the 16 Gig model, then just keep it pay the (probably) $20 for the 2.0 software, rather than go through the hassle to sell it and buy one later.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Ok I don't get this.

8 gigs of content will outlast the battery and I can garuntee you that 8 gigs is greater than the amount of crap you currently subject yourself to daily.

If you want an 80 gig ipod touch then let me point two things out to you.

First the mac book air has 80 gigs total for memory, that means that you want to store more music on your ipod than on a laptop. (considering how 6-9 gigs are missing to the core OS).

Just keep the damn thing its free and do you really want to hope that what you make on ebay will cover the cost of a newer and better iPod.

Heck you may go broke and be squezing your pennies when it comes time to buy the new thing so why waste a free one just because it won't be new in a year.

ITS AN IPOD, THEY GO BAD QUICK. I heavilly doubt you really NEED, more than 8 much less the 32 they currently offer.

If you have that much music just one final question, where does your work go?

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I agree with you completely on everything except the last part. I have over 70GB of music (used to all be on my computer...been too lazy to reimport everything) and I don't have any problem getting work done. Some people are musicians/music enthusiasts/casual listeners to a lot of things, and 8GB really isn't that much. I use my iPod classic as an iPod and my touch as just a PDA and gaming device, really :eek:

Edit: iPods don't really go bad that quick...my friend's iPod is going on 5 years now (strong) and mine is in its third year (going strong as well). I drop mine and shiz all the time, and it's held up really well. Besides that, I agree :p

7. Jdordonez7 macrumors newbie

Ipod Touch

keep the ipod touch , its the best ipod out there right now ,havin sum of the same feature of the iphone: Plus there will cool software updates like App Store and 2.0 , Aopple's the bomb!!:D

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

So your saying have 6Gb of Music, 2Gb of Photo's, a 6Gb of Films (only 2) Is un needed? Heck, i would jump for a bigger one, i want that space! the iTouch can easily watch 2 films, which is almost 8Gb (1, you actually get just over 7Gb, 2 my 2 movies arent super high quality) so is that a waste? NO!

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

well just realistically figure do you watch more than one or two movies a day a week a month ony our ipod? you can always add/remove them at any given point with you mac.

music isnt relatively large, 8gb isnt a HUGE amount but its sufficient for most music files.

then apps and other things may be in consideration; depends on your needs.

Id; have paid an extra $100 for th 16gb or even the 200 for the 32gb.

not a bad deal either way you look at it.
    maybe you can get 150 ~ 200 for it on ebay and put it towards a "unannounced ipod touch update"

but either way you made out pretty good with this promotion!

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....i have 10 full feature films that look AMAZING on my touch, and it takes up about 6 gigs, you dont need super high quality to make it look great on the touches screen, my god man, think of the pixels!

11. cfs macrumors 6502a

I would pay the xtra $100 for the 16gb. Especially if you travel with it and don't have access to a computer.

I consider myself a low end user with itunes as my library for music is only 4gb. However, If I put this on my 8gb itouch I will only have 3gb left because Apps take up about 1gb.

This will only allow about one or maybe 2 movies if I'm lucky and I'm maxed out.

-cfs