Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meek Wriggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
UK
I tried searching for previous threads on this but came up with some bizarre results (none of which were helpful and one result was on the very recent death of Michael Jackson whom I'm pretty certain had no involvement with C++).

Is it worth investing time on learning C++ as a Mac user? I know the official Mac language is Objective-C and I'm currently reading Kochan's book on it, but I thought it might be nice to have C++ under my belt too at some point. I've done a little C++ on Windows already (before I switched over to Mac in April last year) but I was nowhere near mastering it. I know that XCode allows the writing of C++ applications but to what extent? Would I be able to do full GUI apps, or is it limited to console apps? Thanks in advance.

SRossi

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Personally I would learn C++ to some extent as you can use it for sooo much. And yeah im sure you can create full blown GUI apps with it on the mac.

And if you know a bit already there is no difference between learning it on Windows or in OSX.

Stephen

garethlewis2

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2006
It is worth learning C++, simply due to the fact that you will come across code that contains, or is completely written in C++.

Objective-C isn't really the main language on Mac OS X. It is the main language for Aqua/Cocoa work, but the instant you want to work with low level Core Data, Core Animation, Core Image, etc, you are in low level C programming with no link to the foundation classes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.