Is it worth me upgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xystence, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

In mid 2010 I purchased my MacBook Pro, and honestly I am not familiar with the exact differences between the 2010 model, the 2011 model, and whatever may come in 2012.

My question is whether or not its worth an upgrade anytime soon? I have listed the specs of my MBP below and thank everyone for any opinions. Do we have a clue what we may see in the next line of MBP that would make it worth upgrading if it's not already?

Specs:

Mid 2010 15 Inch MBP
    Intel i7 2.66
    8GB RAM DDR3
    512MB GPU
    500GB Solid State Drive

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

your current MBP is fine no reason to upgrade...just upgrade memory and faster hard drive if possible...your MBP is good for another 2 years.

3. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

Will my model be able to have more memory? My Hard Drive is already a solid state drive, what else could I do with that lol

It's nice to know mine is good to go for a few more years, this was my first Mac so I went all out on the day this model came out. Absolutely love it.

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Your memory is maxed out. There isn't much to do but add a larger hd when/if you should ever need to.

Your computer is completely fine for the next several years. You don't need to "upgrade" after only a year of having your computer.

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

500GB SSD? Damn, must have been pricey. It'd be nice to have one of those.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Listing specs does nothing to tell us if you need to upgrade or not, you could very well already have "too much computer" for your needs.

What do you do with your computer? Seeing as you have a 500GB SSD, you probably have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket and are looking for a way to spend it.

Perhaps telling us what you use the computer for would help us truly help you.

7. mountains macrumors regular

You'd notice the CPU upgrade if you game or work with photo editing, video encoding, or anything else that's CPU-heavy. The 15" MBP is actually competitive with Mac Pros from 2008/2009 in some areas. It's a fast little computer.

And GPU-wise, you're paying for less than a 5-10% increase in performance from your 330m if you opt for the 6490, and a massive in performance with the 6750 (some of the video game tests Anandtech ran saw frame rates nearly double with the 2011/6750 15" MBP).

So yes, it's an upgrade. Problem is, though, is that we've had these current MBPs for a while now. There's almost certainly going to be an update within the next year; some people are predicting Winter 2011, but I think Early/Mid 2012 would be more likely if Apple wants to include Ivy Bridge processors, which it very well might.

There's also some sort of Mac product being announced in the near future. Anyone's guess what this product is, but there's been some talk that Apple wants to make a 15" ultra-book to go along with their 11" and 13" Airs.

If you need a faster laptop right now, it's an upgrade. If you don't, it might make some sense to hold off. Apple probably isn't going to announce a new and faster Macbook Pro next week if you buy one today, but they might announce a new and faster Macbook Pro six months from now.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

No. Don't upgrade. You obviously have no idea what the specs even mean so why upgrade? If all you do is email and the web, I suggest picking up an old 486 PC.

9. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I think it might be this winter. Apple is known for getting Intel processors earlier than others to put in their refreshes.

Other than that, OP, your specs are extremely high. A 500GB SSD? That probably cost you 800 bucks. You would gain very little by upgrading.

10. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone

If you can no longer perform the tasks required on your current computer then it is time to upgrade to a newer, faster model. Otherwise you're probably just fine. Silly question no?