Is it worth Otto get SSD from apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by butters149, Jun 17, 2011.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I plan to purchase the top of the line MBP 15" from apple store online and I was wondering if it was worth it to get their 256GB SSD? I've been hunting around on new egg and I see that the 256GB cost more than $450 that apple charges, also not sure about the specs on the Apple SSD.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If you dont wanna upgrade the HDD to a 3rd party SSD yourself than yes its worth it.

The apple ssds are slower in many ways compared to a Vertex 3 or Intel 510, but I do believe they use Samsung SSDs but im not 100% sure. Can anyone confirm?

3. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I believe the MBA uses Samsung as their SSD. Toshiba for the MBP. There are faster drives out there. But will you notice any real speed for daily use? Such as email, web, etc. Probably not. Seems like SATA2 drives are more stable than SATA3. But that will change once they prefect those drives better.

4. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I believe so.

6. ChazB macrumors member

Yes. The controller in the MBP is SATA III, but the drives are SATA II from what I gather.

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

As far as I know the Apple drive used in MBP is a Toshiba OEM product.

Internally it's very similar to Kingston V+ 100. It's a good SATA II drive with very good garbage collection.

One mayor benefit is that it just works. If you're going to get a SATA III drive it's kind of a lottery.

Vertex 3, Crucial M4, Force 3 all had issues in my MBP 13". I now have the Kingston V+ 100 which works flawless.

8. Apple Expert, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

Apple Expert macrumors 65816

If your after the fastest driver, then get a sat a 3. No doubt they are the fastest. However they do have the most problems in terms of reliability. Some have success, others not so much. If you wan't a problem free drive, look for something similar to what Apple provides. The Samsung or Kingston are your best choice. Also the Intel 320 is a good choice. I doubt your going to really tell the difference in every day use. Unless your doing ALOT of coping or moving of files. To me, I'd rather have something that always works than it being hit or miss. I can deal with a second or two in boot up. I will literally be only a second or two.

9. ChazB macrumors member

If you do get the Vertex 3 or any other SATA III SSD; don't use the TRIM Enable hack. I've read a bunch of places that it's one of the major problem causers out there for these drives.

10. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Even people that don't use the trim hack are still getting problems. SATA3 are good, if you are lucky to get a good working one.

11. JR1993 macrumors regular

+1 on everything