Is it worth returning my cMBP for this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazawaza, Sep 2, 2012.

1. hazawaza macrumors newbie

should I return it and get a new one because of this little chip on the corner? it was like this when i bought it

Attached Files:

2. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Are you :
    1. Near an apple store.
    2. Within 14day return period.

If yes to above. Return it

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If it really bugs you I guess? I would use it and just ignore the nick. I may not have noticed it in the first place.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I wouldn't, I mean that's very minor - rather just leave it there then go through a return process.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The OCD'ers in the mac community never cease to amaze me. :)

There is no way I'd trade that tiny speck for the time it would take to get me up and going again with a new machine. Not to mention the trip and hassle to deal with an Apple Store or FedEx.

6. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Yes, In the past I accepted such a flaws with as consequence when I sold it two years later on Ebay to upgrade, that this "chip" was always a problem and degraded the value. You don't accept a brand new Mercedes with a scratch either from your dealer ;)

7. stuaz macrumors 6502

If you have to make a post to ask if you should replace it, then it obviously bothers you, so just get it replaced....:confused:

8. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Trust me, if you go over that car with a magnifying class the way people seem to do with their Macs, you will find more than one scratch, flaws in the leather, and probably a few other defects as well.

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

To be honest, you asked about it so it must bother you. I would exchange it.

My first MBPr had a pock mark near the left side of the track pad. It really bothered me because I keep my stuff in great condition and for $3k+ it should be pock mark free.

Others may feel differently but give the price, it should be defect free.

-P

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Seriously? A chip on a 2 year old computer effects the sale price? Find a different buyer maybe?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You get more of those in a few months time, so it's up to you if you want to care.

12. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

If you can sell your stuff as brand new, you simple get more for it. I was always able (without moshi palm protectors or skins) to keep my hardware in new condition.

It is funny how people always be blamed to be OCD if they feel bothered by an unnecessarily scratch made by Apple themselves. For some people, a purchase of a MacBook is only possible by hard working, collecting money and sacrificing. Till they finally can buy one. Try to understand the experience for those people. Apple cost a lot.... and I mean really a lot.

Last but not least, never forget, Apple themselves raises those high expectations from perfectionist and OCD people, with their slick video's where for the so many time we see Jonny telling how "perfect" their products are, and how they create something that is above everything else. So then you don't expect imperfections like avoidable scratches.

13. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

It's crazy, they never cease to amaze me either. Actually, people in general never cease to amaze me.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're in the business of selling 2 year old MacBook Pros as brand new, good work I guess. On a used computer or used anything, there is a certain amount of wear that is to be expected.

15. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Eh I wouldn't it's not even that huge and it's not like the color is chipped off, but since you had to post a thread about it chances are your going to do it. I went through 6 rMBP's (4 of them had screen retention problems, the 5th had a nasty nasty scratch out of the box that went across my bottom panel) and all of them had some sort of cosmetic damage. I was able to accept all of the them except for what I experienced on the 5th one because it just ran across my backplate.

Point being you'll find one and it's a matter of how much of it you can just accept. Personally again that isn't even that big of a deal compared to what I've had with previous rMBPs.

16. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

You're looking at two different philosophies on this thread.

On one hand you have the people who want everything to be as perfect as possible, and/or who intend to sell their systems and get the maximum amount that they can out of them.

On the other hand, you have people who buy their computers and are only thinking about using them. They recognize that the computer is going to pick up scratches and smudges through normal wear-and-tear, and they're not thinking about reselling it or maximizing its resale value.

I waver between the two camps, but I prefer being in the latter. I'll go out of my way to protect the screen (because screen scratches are incredibly annoying), but while I handle my computer fairly gently, I don't have a protective case for the exterior or anything like that. Getting bent out of shape over a scratch or smudge isn't worth the stress. Nothing lasts forever - enjoy it while you have it, use it to its full potential, and don't sweat the small stuff :)

17. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Also another thing also to remember is that this computer you have is a "tool" and not some sort of "artifact" that needs to put in a glass case.

18. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

I'd rather have physical defects ( that would not affect usage) vs. internal defects

19. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Eh, id take it back. Im sure the Apple employee in the store will look at you like yourre crazy Lol

20. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

21. Rileyx2 macrumors member

For something that small, I wouldn't worry about it.

Anything over half an inch and clearly noticeable, I would consider returning it. When I bought my MBP, I got home to find an abrasion on the top lid that was about an inch long, so I returned it. Had it been on the bottom, or smaller than half an inch, I wouldn't have let it bother me.

22. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes

23. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

BS.

I've used many different MBPs for months to a year at a time and have never scratched a single one.

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always subjective. I'd say no. YMMV. Polling isn't the way to answer your question. If you have to ask I'd guess "no". If it was worth it you you then you'd know the answer.

25. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Make the chip bigger, then you won't feel bad getting a new one.