Is it worth saving my G4 Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by suzy2008, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suzy2008 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been browsing the threads and I just need a little convincing...

I have a 1.33ghz 12inch Powerbook with 768mb of RAM, my battery lasts for about 20 minutes, I am on my 4th ac adapter (and it is already broken again, I so get why they made them magnetic in future laptops). I am running Tiger... everything works just fine except the embarrassing battery life and unpredictable charging (b/c of the semi-broken power adapter). My question is, do you think fixing this little guy is worth it? Could I get anything if I sold it? I am a grad student and primarily use the computer for writing papers, online research and surfing the web.

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The 12" has amazing resale value these days. People are paying upwards of $600 for a 12" 1.5, while some get lucky and pay around $400. Think of it this way, being only slightly larger than a netbook you get all the ports your heart can desire, a combo or superdrive (depending upon model) expandable memory and hard drive and a way better keyboard than many netbooks around. Sure, it's not the latest and greatest, but I'd take a 12" PB over a netbook any day of the week.

If you can save it with minimal cost then I would do it. If not, sell it for what it is and let someone else tinker with it.

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

400? considering the biggest hard drives they were made with was 120 gig and the dismal amount of ram i thinks thats ridiculous. Id pay maybe 100-150?Ebay was going for 250.

4. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

See what iFixit will give you for it.

they gave me around $600 for an old 15 PBG4 with a broken screen a few years ago.

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

For what you do with it I should suggest you replace the battery and buy a new adapter. You will be cheaper off than buying a new machine.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's what YOU would pay, but there are people out there who are willing to pay more. The 12" PB has become something of a collector's item. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've closed this thread because requesting valuations for hardware or software is not permitted for those ineligible for the Marketplace forum.

There is some good advice regarding this machine in this thread which is why I haven't deleted it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.