Is it worth selling an early 2008 macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danest, Feb 20, 2011.

1. danest macrumors member

I have an early 2008 macbook pro, and I am thinking of selling it to get myself a Macbook Air. I was wondering if people still buy this old macbook pro model.

My Model is MB133LL/A with 15.4-inch Laptop (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive)

I have also upgraded to 4GB ram just last month and it still has the apple care until July 2011.

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

It depends on how you would use your MBA for. Take note that an MBA is not as upgradeable as an MBP.

3. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I still use mine with a 500 GB HDD and 3 GB RAM (soon to be upgraded again). It is also a 2.4 GHz model.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I got an 11" MBA from our base PX for $854 and I thought I was going to replace my 2.0Ghz nVidia 9400m whitebook with the MBA = while the MBA is lighter and thinner, its not faster = I have 4Gb of PC6400 RAM and a Crucial 128Gb m225 SSD in my whitebook already.

I like the 11" form factor of the MBA but I've decided to wait for at least one refresh of the MBA or see what the new MBP's bring to the table...

If I were you, I'd get a 128Gb SSD for your current MBP and keep using it for another couple years.

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

People will buy them used. But your computer has taken a major hit in resale value do the 8600 gt failures.

The op's computer uses sata I so a ssd will not be used to its full potential.

6. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

7. greenmountain macrumors newbie

Yes, there are folks out there who will happily buy your three-year-old computer.

I sold my 2004 PowerBook G4 on eBay late last year for $335 and the auction attracted about 15 bids. Why did someone want to buy a 6 year old computer? I have no idea, but the market was clearly there. Assuming your machine is in good shape I'm sure there will be interest. Look at current eBay auctions to get a sense of what people are willing to pay for your specific configuration (as to whether eBay is actually the best place to sell it... that's a separate debate, but looking through their listings is a good way to get a quick sense of the market).

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...due to the 8600 GPU issue, I'd keep letting apple fix the machine for the OP/original owner and install any decent SSD = it will feel like a new machine with minimal investment for the OP until a worthwhile refresh happens for a machine he wants to buy = and maybe if his/her GPU fails apple will give a new updated machine...

It also gives the OP an SSD to install into what ever is bought next with out paying apples premium.

I went with the Crucial m225 SSD for my whitebook = while not the fastest it had the longest warranty... so if it goest kaput, I'll get what ever Crucial is making at the time as they back their warranties well!

9. danest thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go and buy an SSD drive to use my current laptop for a few more years. I will start looking for a decent SSD

10. quickmac macrumors 6502

I agree I sold a 2006 black Macbook (at a discount even to a colleague, he initially offered 300 I was looking on eBay and seeing 500 possible) for $400 cash a little after 3 years when I first got it.

The market is def there. I have a 2009 unibody Macbook Pro (the high end 15 inch at the time) and I fully expect that I can fetch anywhere from $600-1100 for it at the 3 year mark. Even if I only sold it for $500 3 years later thats essentially a 500 discount on a brand new macbook.