Is it worth selling MBA for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billy Hoke, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Billy Hoke macrumors member

Hey guys,
    I have quite the dilemma on my hands at the moment. I bought the latest version of the MBA a couple of days after its release and am really happy with it, ts the 13" 128gb Flash with 4GB ram accompanied by the 1.8ghz processor I believe.

Now, whilst checking this site every day I have noticed that there are plans to bring new processors to the MBA which would outclass my current model.

I don't "game" but I have installed FM2011 and Civ5 on my MBA which both run, but the latter is painfully slow.

My dilemma? Well, I want to sell the MBA to get the top model 13" MBP which is around $1,550 AUD after my education discount...

Is it worth selling my MBA for that particular MBP?

If so, how much are the MBA's currently going for (second hand in mint condition might I add)?

Will I see any noticeable differences in load times/start up times between the two?

Thanks.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

you're happy with it, but you're not. that is a dilemma!

you're going to lose money with it no matter what you do. check ebay for prices. they change every day. the market is awful for your device, because an update is due out any moment. you bought high and you have to sell low :(

why not buy the new mba? it will start more quickly than the mbp (it has ssd), and will probably have performance similar to the 13" mbp, except with a higher resolution disply.

or, be happy, don't spend hundreds of dollars in order to play that game, crawl out of your man cave, and do something more productive with your time :)

i suggest a game like kingdom of loathing instead (kol). no worries about your computer slowing down with that!

3. Billy Hoke thread starter macrumors member

Losing money in my situation is a guarantee. I just wouldn't have thought a hardware update would happen so quickly.

With the 4GB ram that I ordered my MBA with it came up to $1,750AUD, now I can buy the MBP that I mentioned for $1,580AUD with my education discount. Seeing as I don't know how much I can sell the MBA for, I am starting to drive myself just a little crazy.

The game is entirely the issue, but I guess I should be happy with what I got. It will all just depend on how much I can sell the MBA for...

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

The update didn't come soon at all! It has been in the works for some time, and I think everyone expected it to be in June. Actually, it is a little later than we thought it would be.

These computers don't have long shelf lives if you are playing the bleeding edge / brand new shiny game, and you'll lose money (consider it as a kind of renting for a few dollars a month and you might not feel so bad). If you can enjoy it for a couple more years, then it will be a great deal.

But, the applies to all of the new shinies out there. Get the refreshed MBA next month, and Ivy processors will be out in a few months, so you'll have to face the update urge again. Better to tame your monkey mind now :)