Is it worth swapping my sony vaio for macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jammypop, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jammypop macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Sony VAIO VPCEB1S0E/WI. It is roughly 2 years old give or take.

It has the following specs:

Intel i3 @ 2.13ghz
    4gb RAM
    500gb Hard drive
    Radeon HD5470M

I am thinking about buying the base model late 2011 MBP 13 inch

Is it worth doing the swap do you think, and would I notice any difference in performance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Shane

2. WarpSpawn, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

WarpSpawn macrumors member

Likely depends what you do with it. Over and above whether you have specific reasons for wanting a Mac at all, I doubt you'd notice much difference for stuff like web browsing and word processing. The video card in that thing might mean it is actually better for gaming and other tasks tat make use of it as well.

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I had a Vaio as well. Don't remember the exact name but it had cost me about 1600$ and was 2-3 years old and I've never looked back since buying a Pro. To me, the difference is huge.

4. jammypop thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have a iPad 2 and an iPhone 4s and I just love those and feel like taking the next step and converting from pc to mac.

Plus my inner geek needs a new computer to play with!!!

5. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i have a sony vaio as well but mine is 2gb ram and almost 5years old so i think for me it was worth the upgrade.

6. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

When I read swap, I thought you were trading someone. I currently have a sony vaio as well almost 2 years old but its a workhorse. i7,6gbs ram,750gb hd,full hd resolution. Thinking of getting the same model you are looking to get, in your case I think its an upgrade. In my case, not so much I think.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Then you'll probably enjoy using iCloud syncing with a Mac.

8. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

9. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

I have a VAIO also, its roughly a year old now.
    I'm planning on a MBP within the next month because I need something with far better battery life than the pathetic hour I get on my vaio. :)

10. Akack macrumors 6502a

11. rainking macrumors regular

User experience = always an upgrade from PC to Mac
    Hardware = won't be dramatic

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Definitely!

I service computers, and I have seen the most trouble from Sony computers. And the sad part is, that people spend more money on a Sony Vaio, than they would on a very nice MacBook Pro.

People say Apple is overpriced, but I think not...Sony Vaios, now those are Overpriced!

13. jammypop thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I wouldn't say I have had any problems with it as such, with the exception that 2 of the 3 USB ports only work when they feel like it.

Price wise I would say it was about equivalent of similar spec laptops when I bought it (approx £600).

14. WarpSpawn macrumors member

If you want a new computer anyway and the MBP is in your price range I say go for it. I have barely scratched the surface with this thing but it is comfortably the best quality laptop I have personally used. Mac OS certainly has a few quirks to it and some things are not so obvious at first, but it has been pretty painless so far adjusting. Even hopping between it and a Windows PC is not all that hard (and I have left the 'natural' scrolling on as well). I'd say it is the first computer I have used where I actually enjoy using the touchpad.

But I still reckon you might not notice a huge performance increase. It was an easier decision for me as besides my desktop PC, I was upgrading from a netbook (which I still find occasional uses for but was a bit of a false economy tbh).

15. jammypop thread starter macrumors newbie

That is one of the main things that is attracting me to it really is the mac os. I know its not the same but I love the simplicity of ios on my iPad and iPhone.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I think definitely yes but I can't stand VAIO's. What I, or anyone else, thinks doesn't matter. It's whether you think it's worth it or not that matters.

17. jammypop thread starter macrumors newbie

Well have just done it! Just ordered a 13" MBP!!!