Is it worth the extra money for matte (antiglare) display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grAntsOkO, Apr 7, 2011.

1. grAntsOkO macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if it is worth the extra money ($50) to get a matte screen. My thoughts are no because from what I heard the mbp's glossy screen is great and the colors are very vibrant. I will be doing most work inside but still a fair amount outside. Will the glare be too much on the glossy screen

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Go check it out yourself. Doesn't matter what other people's preferences are because you are the one using it. I personally prefer glossy due to the vibrant colours. My external display is matte though and I'm fine with it.

3. conchshell macrumors member

It varies tremendously from person to person. I went to the apple store and compared same picture, one after another, with a friend, on two macbook pros 17" and after doing it I thought "wow Anti-Glare is way better, I will definitely get that one" and he said "see, glossy is way better, especially because of the black border"

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

5. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

+1 for matte. Way better. Plus- I like to look of the silver bezel- classier than the glossy.

6. amarcus macrumors 6502

Down to personal preference. But I struggled with the decision for weeks and eventually ended up with an AG display. Frankly, I couldn't be happier. No regrets!

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Ugh, precisely why I don't like the looks of the AG. But to each their own.

8. profoshow macrumors member

I like my HiDef matte screen, was not real excited about the silver bezel, but now that i have it I love it!

9. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i have used both for many years .. and i must say i prefer Antiglare... for one simple reason ... i hate to see the reflection you see on glossy ....you see yourself and lights in the room on ur screen too...

once you go Antiglare there is no going back ... its worth that $50 in my point of view ...good luck

10. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    see i work only in-doors and i really prefer the glossy - the AG looks faded/washed out in comparison IMO

11. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

I love my Matte screen. I hated the black bezel as well. I had a "Classic" MBP for years w/the Matte screen and loved the silver look. Now i got a bit of that look in this one, even though i still have black keyboard keys :(

13. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I hear ya. I'm in the same boat, and after a year I really like the black keys now. I actually perfer it because the contrast with the lite keyboard is nicer. Also the keys are spaced out a bit more and it's nicer to type on too.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I've always found the black trim around the screen to be easier on the eyes for extended use, but all of my LED backlit computers have had this, so it may also have a lot to do with that.

15. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

It all comes down to this:

Are you ugly? Buy Antiglare.
    Are you attractive? Buy Glossy.

16. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Nice trolling, I actually giggled a little inside.

It's all down to preference. If you enjoy cleaning a screen every week but also enjoy the slightly better contrast when watching videos from your outdated media format or badly compressed blu ray rips then glossy is for you. Otherwise, matte displays are generally better on laptops due to the much lower brightness produced by the panels, meaning less eye strain for matte finished screens.

External monitors/TVs is another matter though, as most glossy externals tend to have super bright panels which negate most glare.

17. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I spend a lot of time working on my laptop, the reflection is why I returned my glossy for anti glare. Wow it's so much nicer.

Yet it's like others have said, personal preference. I think for casual use glossy sells cause it's shiny and attractive. On display its great looking, however my priority is as a tool for work.

The eye strain I experienced with glossy was just too much. My two cents :)

18. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

I've had glossy on my last 2 17" laptops and it does get to be a pain to dodge (or shut off) light sources to counter the glare.

Beautiful in dark or in controlled environment but useless outdoors, on a nice day.