Is it worth the hassle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anthem550, Aug 26, 2009.

1. anthem550 macrumors member

I've got three little specs of dust under my screen. I don't pay attention to them most of the time but it aggervats me knowing they're there. Is it worth the hassle of taking it to Apple? Will they just replace the screen or give me a new phone?

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I never bother when a speck or two appears, because as soon as you notice and begein to get irritated by them, they dissapear(probably via the same means in which they appeared).

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends, how old is the iPhone. If you take it into apple and its a fairly new unit they may just give you a new one, but you may also get a refurb.

Its really up to your comfort level, if the dust isn't bothering you then I'd say live with it, but if its something you cannot over-come then there's no reason to get yourself worked up, but instead pop over to the apple store to get it resolved.

4. anthem550 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think these are going to disappear they have been in the same spot for awhile

5. imachack macrumors newbie

Yes. Call apple, overexagerate the problem, have them send you a box, or you can pay the 30 and get a new one. You can always call twice and say you didnt have a credit card the first time, then tell them the guy you talked to said that he would wipe the 30 fee. Hope i helped, as i have done this numerous times. John

6. samcraig macrumors P6

I think we can avoid giving advice about committing fraud, can't we?

7. imachack macrumors newbie

I would barely count this as commiting fraud. The first guy actually did tell me he would waive the fee, but i just thought of that way! LOL. But overexagerating the problem, nothing wrong with that. You paid good money for a device. it should be perfect

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You can't really over exaggerate dust under the screen; or can you? Just explain there is dust under the screen and they'll get you a replacement iPhone....

9. samcraig macrumors P6

"You can always call twice and say you didnt have a credit card the first time, then tell them the guy you talked to said that he would wipe the 30 fee"

That's fraud. And at the very least - not very moral. I don't see why people feel the need to condone this behavior as if it's acceptable.

And if your attitude is "it's just $30" or "stick it to the man" or whatever the comeback is to justify the action - where do you draw the line?

10. davyreins macrumors 6502

I had a few specks and took it in, they only replaced the screen. Two weeks later the chrome started to separate so they replaced the whole thing. It's up to you, it's possible that your replacement might have a light leak or something (or it might be perfect!).

11. Chizzled macrumors member

Long story short, dont do it. I was in the same boat as you last week. I returned a phone I was happy with for a refurb because I had dust and a smudge under the screen. I am now on my second replacement and tomorrow I am exchanging it for my third. Second phone had a distorted receiver, but cosmetically flawless. Third has yellow screen and loose switches. If you are happy with the phone you have now, I would only go as far as having them replace the screen.

Luckily Apple is super friendly and has great customer service and tries their best to deal with OCD customers like me.

Keep your phone if you're happy with it! It wont stay perfect for long.

12. imachack macrumors newbie

theres always option 3.... which would mean you would get a new one replaced, and not deal with refurbished pieces of crap