Is it worth the premium

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jasmynp, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

My husband and I have a little debate going. I say the apple watch is not worth the premium being charged on eBay because Apple Watch 2 will likely be vastly different ie iPad 1 to iPad 2. I think it may be difficult to get anywhere close to one's original investment with the premium tacked on so it's better to pay retail and just wait patiently. He says resell be damned. If you want it now pay what it costs.

What say you?

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Don't pay over retail. Apple will delivery earlier than the predicted delivery dates , and a number of people will return theirs once they realise it's not for them.

3. pmau macrumors 65816

4. LiemTa macrumors regular

If you can't afford an extra $150 or over the course of a year, maybe you shouldn't be looking into purchasing an Apple Watch at all.

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

It would've been if they can deliver on time... Other than that. No don't waste your money.

6. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

They can obviously afford it. She's just saying it isn't worth paying extra for. And I agree with her. They're already overpriced IMHO. Like most people who bought the sport could front $200 for an SS (we buy $1200+ laptops after all when we could get a Windows one for half the price), they just choose not to.

OP, tell your hubby to wait. Don't give in to the scalpers.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd just pay retail. I think we'll see Apple clear through the pre-orders a lot more quickly than they are promising. In 5-6 weeks ("June" is not that far away), it should be available in retail stores. It's a great watch, but we are already paying an Apple premium, so who needs an eBay premium on top of that?

8. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Agreed. Not sure it's even worth retail at this stage. Definitely not worth eBay. Also get the SS version. Sport version looks really cheap.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Apple did not sent a single individual an email that they would recieve their watch on the 24th. Sorry brah, your watch is not late, you can complain on the 9th of May!!!

10. KPOM macrumors G5

$649 for the stainless steel with Classic Band or Milanese Loop is fine. It's just a little bit more than a quartz watch of comparable quality.

Apple could have chosen to use polished aluminum and sapphire to give the aluminum watch a premium look and feel. However, they decided to go with stainless steel for the "standard" watch and anodize the aluminum to give it a matte look. That, and the use of the elastomer bands give it the "cheap" look, particularly in comparison to its $399 price tag.

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

This^ I wouldn't pay a premium - just be patient.

12. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

This! Capitalist society or not, we are at peak scalping. I can only hope that so many of them flood the market that prices get driven down.

13. Jasmynp thread starter macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I agree with you guys as I stated in the original post. I'm headed for the mid-range model because I prefer the sapphire glass and SS materials. He's going for he sport model because he thinks there's no real difference between the swap. "They'll both scratch and the innards are the same" he says. :) Needless to say we go round and rounds with every new iDevice we consider purchasing.

14. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

wait a couple days.
    When the Craigslisters realized that some of the June orders are already being delivered, there will be a lot of downward pricing pressure.

In my area, there was one guy who was taking names for when his 5/13-5/27 watch shows up. He will find that it may be hard to sell for a big premium.

15. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

How many watches have been delivered late so far? I'll quote you an exact number. Zero.

16. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

You must have bought the SS and are still trying to justify the cost. That is the only reason why I can see anyone going on about the Sport looking "cheap" and "awful" I never thought the iPhone C looked that great but I never came on here bashing it and calling it cheap and ugly. I bought the Sport like many others not because I couldn't afford the SS but because I like it better for my uses.

The Sport is LESS EXPENSIVE but far from "cheap" and in MY opinion looks great. You have a right to voice your opinion but to state it basically as fact is a bit rude. I'm just sick of reading all the SS buyers trying to justify their $1000 purchases by continuously calling the Sport ugly and cheap.

Rant/Vent over.

17. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

I bought both the sport and SS versions. Going off pictures, I too thought the sport looked a little cheap. The plastic charger was the icing on the cake for me, and thats when I made my decision to buy the SS. A guy from my work offered to buy my sport off me, so i've kept it on order... and I'm genuinely interested in seeing it in person for comparison reasons. I think the SS was a little overpriced but something about it matches my personality more than the sport. The aluminum crown just reminds me of a childs toy. I can't wait to see both of them in person though to make a final conclusion! All the reviews say the aluminum is nice.

18. Wallabe, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Buy directly from Apple. You'll get yours sooner than you'd think. It's already pricey as it is, why are you buying from scalpers at a higher price? Whichever model you get, that's a personal decision, but make sure you buy from Apple, not eBay.

If you have trouble with the product, you can get help and Applecare service from Apple, or you can return or exchange it. You can't do that if you buy from a scalper.

19. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

Understandable. And if the SS fits your needs and personality that is why we have choices in this world. The Sport to me looks much better in person and not cheap or toylike. The chargers are the same except the SS charger has a SS shell/covering. I think the SS is nice but in my opinion too shiny and I would be wiping it off constantly. I do hate I don't have the sapphire crystal.

20. whatos macrumors 6502a

Price is always a tricky subject. Apple always charges a lot. Frankly I just pay it. Apple has served me very well, even though I may not keep the watch. I happily pay for what I benefit from and avoid what I don't.

I bought the watch knowing it may not be for me but wanted to experience it first hand. Now three days later, I'm still searching for a reason to keep it.