is it worth the $ to have Apple preinstall RAM on Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JTTech, Dec 6, 2008.

1. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

I'm about to get a new Macbook Aluminum, and want to bump up the RAM from the default 2gb to the full 4gb.

But I found out that Apple's RAM is far overpriced. So I'm wondering, can I just buy the Macbook with the standard amount of RAM and then install the other 2GB on my own?

Or is this impossible on that model?

(btw, I want to make sure not to void the warranty)

2. sine-nomine macrumors regular

3. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

incredible. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

You just saved me about $100. Thanks sine!

4. sine-nomine macrumors regular

As it turns out, you might want to wait on that RAM for a bit. An article over at another blog this morning says that the new MacBooks may not be handling third-party memory as well as they ought. There should be no difference, and in the past I've used Crucial and others and never had a problem at all, but you should wait for a bit until they work out whatever issues are going on. No one mentioned if it affects the MacBook Pros or not.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/07/aluminum-macbooks-unstable-after-3rd-party-ram-upgrade/

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Apple almost always installs two sticks, you'll have to get a 4GB kit. I'm fairly sure the new macbook takes ddr3 ram, which is a little more expensive than the old ram, but its faster. I know te new MBP does take the ddr3.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

How are you saving $100?

Where are you finding 4gb of DDR3 RAM for $50?

Apple installs 2 x 1gb sticks, to run in dual channel mode. If you want 4gb you need to purchase 2 x 2gb sticks. Also note DDR3, DDR2 is not compatible.

7. jon08 macrumors 68000

A quick question (it's about a MBP tho): will I void my MBP warranty if I install 4 GB ram by myself??

8. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

I did it myself in the MBP. The only issue I had was trying to loosen the 8 small screws. I felt like I risked stripping the heads because they were in there so tightly, but mine went without any other hitches. I used the OWC memory and so far (knock on wood) no issues at all. I can swap the original ram in for an additional refund, but the memory was very fairly priced through their website.

9. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

No, your warranty will not be voided.. Your Apple warranty does not cover non-bto components though, and as such your new ram would be covered only by the ram manufacturer warranty, and not Apple.

10. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

12. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

Just did it :)

OWC upgrade to 4 Gigs of DDR3 RAM in my Pro. Easy; just use a #0 screwdriver when taking off the back. It appears that the factory sets are glued in so don't strip them. Took less than 5 minutes to do.

13. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

In general, no, you can get RAM for far cheaper from other sources.

One perk of Apple branded and installed RAM however, is that if you have a technical problem, you can just breeze past that inevitable question, "Did you install 3rd party memory in your computer?"

14. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

OWC is now $84.99. To show you how much of a better deal this is than before I paid $139.99 in mid October when it came out. I just hope they got the kinks out with Apple.

15. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Agreeing with everyone else here, installing your own RAM is the way to go. Apple makes pretty incredible profit margins off their pre-installed RAM, so it's not like the RAM itself costs that much. And Hard Drive and RAM replacements are two things that you are allowed to replace without voiding your warranty.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3rd Party Ram always is (almost) always the best option. Like the OP found it, it's relatively easy to do, as long as you know what a screwdriver.

One note: besides removing it if you have any issues like one other poster suggested, make sure you remove it before sending it into Apple for service because they are known to remove and not return third party ram.

17. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

This was about 2 years ago, but when I bought RAM for my Macbook, a genius Apple actually installed it for me and had it in before the computer was even turned on. It was very nice.

The Mac I'm about to buy is the new high end 15" macbook pro, so I don't need to worry about new ram :p

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Like maybe a few bucks. DDR3 Ram costs 150 or so with Apple. DDR2 ram is cheap as heck, but will not fit into the slot. Other places sell it for 150 as well + shipping.