Is it worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Athonline, Mar 3, 2013.

  1. Athonline macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    #1
    I am currently using a Macbook Pro 17" (Early 2011) with an Anti-Glare screen, 256GBs SSD and 8Gbs RAM.
    I am using my machine mainly for my studies -Computing student- which include lots of programming and web development. I was also using it as a part-time photographer in the past. Currently I frequently use it for some games now and then in Parallels (can't afford bootcamp with my SSD).

    I was really unlucky with this machine as my logic board got fried three times in a year! Once thanks to a "Genius" fault as he left a screw (!!) inside my machine while fixing the previous one. They even forgot to plug-in the Mic cable...

    In any case after seeing Apple at the worst and the best I decided to stick with Apple due to OS X.

    I was thinking for some time now to sell my machine for a rMBP, especially now the specs bump from Apple. I will upgrade my RAM and CPU.

    Do you think it is worth the upgrade? In order to minimise the costs I will sell my current machine -which is still in a grade B to A condition.
    Any ideas where I should try to sell it and for how much? It has AppleCare until June 2014.
     
  2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

    Cergman

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2013
    Location:
    my tesla
    #2
    Search on eBay (or similar) for specs similar to yours. Then adjust price based on condition.
     
  3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #3
    A couple comments.

    First, you shouldn't have too much difficulty selling your 17" MBP. There's still a significant market for them, as they are a discontinued product and there are quite a few users who would happy trade some portability for that extra 2" of screen real estate. Call it a 'missed opportunity' by Apple, one I hope they capitalize on soon.

    Second, I'm assuming you're looking at the 15" rMBP, which comes with 256GB storage by default. You're basically stuck with that 256GB, since aftermarket upgrades are expensive and you don't have a SuperDrive bay to put another drive in. You don't sound like you're entirely happy with your current setup with that amount of space. I know I wouldn't be able to plan around keeping a computer with that little space as a primary machine, speaking personally. The upgrade to 512GB costs a little more than half what it did a month ago, and is well worth considering. If that extra $300 makes or breaks the deal, though, consider what you're purchasing.
     
  4. Athonline thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    #4
    Any ideas on the price I should ask for? Ebay usually got them listed around 1600 for a new one and saw other models around 1000-1300 without the SSD. Any other places other than eBay I can try? The Condition is good, expect some scratches at the bottom (done by that genius) and keyboard marks on the screen (done from clamshell mode), which are not visible when the screen is on nor under room lighting.

    I will either go for a top-end model (512Gb) or due to USB3 make use of my externals and keep my 100GBs photo library there. The difference is 400 pounds, but the 16Gbs Ram and 2.7Ghz CPU is included with the upgrade.

    Is the performance boost worth that money or should I wait? And my concern is the 2" downgrade, even if you get higher resolution...

    Thanks! :)
     
  5. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #5
    Minor cosmetic issues aren't going to matter as much as things like battery condition and the fact that you're still under warranty. I'm seeing similar machines to yours go for $2000USD, but the fact that you mentioned pounds makes me a bit underqualified to comment on local pricing. I would check Craigslist as well as Ebay.

    The upgraded stock model (2.7/16/512) is the best deal in terms of bang for buck and overall performance. Anything over that is overpriced and superfluous. You could make a case for sticking with stock on either CPU or RAM but both (and especially RAM) impact the longevity of the machine.

    As far as the screen size goes, only you can be the judge. Take yours into an Apple store and compare them side by side.
     
  6. GFWD macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2013
    #6
    I just traded my 17" Macbook Pro 2.2 ghz i7, 750gb hard drive, 8gb ram in at my local Apple dealer for $1350 on a new Macbook Pro 13".

    The price on mac2sell.net was $1780. I didn't want to deal with putting it on consignment so I just did the trade in.
     
  7. Athonline thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    #7
    Thanks for your import. Are you using a 17inch or a retina MBP?

    How about the performance boost, do you reckon it is worth the extra money?

    Lastly: If I do not sell now and wait until Haswell, will the price (of my machine) go down dramatically?
     
  8. mykem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #8
    The performance boost from Haswell is said to be around 10% over current rMBP. I don't know if Apple will move its discrete GPU to Radeon as it often does (switching between Nvidia and Radeon) but if you care about GPU performance, Radeon HD8870M is mighty impressive even against the GT650M (in the rMBP).

    If I were you, especially coming off a 2011 MBP, the wait for Haswell makes more sense. Even if you discount the slight CPU increase, the inclusion of better integrated graphic and increase in battery time from Haswell (due to lower power consumption) are desirable requirement to offset the HiDPI display on the rMBP.

    I doubt your 17" MBP, provided you keep it in the same cosmetic condition as it is now, will lose its resale value by much.
     
  9. Athonline thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    #9
    Thank you for import. I hold myself back and wait for Haswell. Hopefully they will update the GPU. Sometimes I find myself debating whenever a Clevo or an Alienware would be a better laptop for me... until I start using the terminal for SSHing and for Python...
     
  10. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2012
    #10
    Just get another cMPB it has better options and you can upgrade anything you want in it at any time.
     
  11. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2012
    #11
    You can expect anything between 1499-1699 for your mac (Depending on it's condition and warranty status) If you have warranty you can expect upto 1799. then if you can put up another 300-400$ you can get a new or refurb base rmbp 15. But I'd rather wait out this gen as rmbps are new and mine already had 2 problems (A few days old) ranging from display problems (IR Bleed) and backlight (Apple logo) light up issues. I do know that it works on the screen backlight but it just happened. If you dont need the screen, go for a cmbp. My cousin who is a computer science student uses a MBA with 256GB SSD, parallels, 8GB RAM, i5 processor and an iMac for intensive tasks. You can get a MBA of that config for 1599$ inc. tax.
     
  12. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #12
    I'm pretty sure after 3 fixes like that (especially with the error on their part), I would ask for a replacement computer on the next repair (or the current one). Speak to a store manager about it if necessary.

    A replacement is usually at the same "price point" with similar specs; as there is no 17" MBP any longer you can usually ask for the 15 rMBP (hell I'd even ask for the higher end model)—just don't threaten to sue, go the media, etc. (because that will get you nowhere).
     
  13. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #13
    CPU's have been soldered in on logicboard on about 99% of laptops for years, there is no way you'll be able to upgrade that.

    The retina MBP's have soldered in RAM, you're stuck with whatever you get on purchase for life. So you can't upgrade that on your own either.
     
  14. Athonline thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    #14
    Was talking upgrading from the online store. :)
     
  15. Athonline thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    #15
    Unfortunately they are not allowed to do replacements in the UK, I already had looong discussions over the phone and in person about it. :/

    They were kind enough however to offer me an iPad 3 when it was released, on a really good price....
     
  16. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2012
    #16
    Sell it on eBay with bids starting at 1299-1399 and get a new cMBP 15 while you can.
    Unless you really need the retina display! A cMBP would mean easier user upgrade-ability and also the newer rmbps have some crazy issues as they are new. Better sell the 17"model while you can
     

Share This Page