Is it worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by snerkler, Oct 28, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Is Mavericks worth upgrading to from Mountain Lion or not? I'm sure there must be threads on this already, but I've not found them so I'm really sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already, and if so if someone could provide me with links that'd be great.

I like the look and way everything works in Mountain Lion so I have no burning desire to change, but if Mavericks is pretty much the same with some benefits then I'll upgrade. If they've changed it so the look of apps and fonts have changed etc then I'll give it a miss, especially if they've made it look iOS 7 like.

2. gc15 macrumors regular

i would say no, the extra battery life is nice, but for my 2011 macbook pro its not a huge significance; however, i have had more trouble with this beta of mavericks due to some applications loading slow and the os not being as smooth as ML. Hopefully these problems are addressed in the upcoming months.

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, short and sweet lol.

----------

Thanks, is the current free offering a beta then?

----------

If I do decide to 'try' Mavericks can I go back to ML by simply restoring to a previous time machine backup, or if I upgrade to Mavericks will it not allow you to use ML back ups?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can. Just make a TM backup to a USB external drive and put it aside. If Mavs goes sideways on you, you can option key boot to the TM disk and use Disk Utility to erase the entire drive then restore from TM.

I installed Mavs and really like it. Just remember when you see forum posts here it tends to make problems look worse than they are. The millions of people who have installed and like Mavs are for the most part not going to come on here and post they had no issues... but is there is a problem, that will generate a post. So perusing these forums really skews toward problem reports.

That said, if there is a particular app you count on say to run your business, it would be a good idea to search around to make sure that app is working in Mavs.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you have no compelling reason than wait until 10.9.1 in a few weeks, just in case you get issues.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, it is worth it. Every single red cent I paid for it.

7. ellie2000 macrumors newbie

8. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

As with every version of OS X, wait until .2 or .3.

9. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I've had no problems upgrading to Mavericks on my mid 2011 Mac mini. Just make sure you back up if you can, and do a health check on your hard drive before doing the upgrade. I've read many forums where people got a corrupted hard drive error. I ran it before I upgraded, and mine was healthy. It's better to be safe than sorry.

10. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

It's free. The only way it couldn't be worth it is if some app you NEED to use is not supported.

11. meme1255 macrumors 6502

Except bug in wine using MacDriver that causes crash when using copy function in some apps and not working LAN in Wacraft III ( :( ), is Mavericks fine! :)

12. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies, think I'll give it a whirl. Just need to make sure lightroom 5 and logic work with it.

Are there many aesthetic changes ie making it look more like iOS 7. I really dislike the aesthetics of iOS 7 such as the bland whiteness and childish/cartoonish icons (hence not upgrading), and I wouldn't want my MacBook to look like this.

13. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this video I've found on youtube's answered my questions about the aesthetics. I think after seeing this I'll be sticking with ML. The only new feature I've seen so far that I'd find useful is the tabs in finder, and I don't think this outweighs the boring new look of the native apps :(

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I would recommend rethinking your priorities. Looks or updates?

http://www.zdnet.com/os-x-mountain-lion-users-no-more-security-updates-7000022322/

15. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a