Is it worth the Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EPiD3MiK, Mar 29, 2010.

  1. EPiD3MiK macrumors newbie

    Jun 30, 2009
    I currently have the macbook 13in 2.53 model. I originally purchased it as a secondary computer to go along with my Mac Pro at home. It was intended for minor video editing and photoshop work, and has done the job pretty good.

    However I've recently sold my MacPro and now have been using the MBP as my primary machine, I now work in motion graphics and have been using aftereffects and photoshop non stopped with large High Rez files and this thing chugs along, really bad render times, and just laggy HD Video play.

    It obviously wasn't made for such things and my question is if I sell my machine for $1300 today (btw is that a good price? I spent like 1,700 with APPcare)... and purchase the MBP 15in 2.8 with dedicated 512mb graphics card REFURBISHED for basically $2,000 will I see a huge and I mean HUGE difference? I mean I will be spending an estimate of $750 in total for an upgrade, I get the 2 extra inches of HIGH REZ Screen, 2.8 processor BOOST, same ram, 250 more HD space which is whatever, and more importantly to me the 512mb dedicated Graphics card.

    I mean in the PC world with $750, let alone 2gs I can grab an amazing set core i7 setup and probably pull a hackintosh but realistically who wants to go thru all that :) I love/hate :apple: unfortunately.

    So yea my question is, is it worth it? $750 for the upgrade, will the graphics card even help with my aftereffects rendering? I don't know how that works or what it relies on... processor speed or ram etc..

    Thanks in advance for the suggestions :) PLEASE post up any links rendering test that might help my decision.
  2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020


    Jul 21, 2004
    I think you'd be better off going back to a base level Mac Pro. For the work you do, you really shouldn't be doing it on a laptop.
  3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2009
    $1300 is a long shot.

    do you *have* to have a portable?

    $1300 21" iMac would give you speedup and you would just about break even -- or even better drop that $2000 on a 27" i5 iMac.

    look at the giant jump in AE going from a 3.06 C2D and the 2.66 i5 -- 2X as fast
  4. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Everyone knows that i5 and i7 MBPs are right around the corner. When they come out the value on your current machine will dip a little, but on eBay people don't always know that and you may still get a good price for it. There will be a significant difference then. Right now for performance boost, the upgrade is not worth it with a refresh so imminent.
  5. EPiD3MiK thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 30, 2009
    Thanks for the responses...

    I don't NEED to have a portable but as of now Ive been so used to being on one, I kinda don't want to go back to a desktop. Plus I use the ones at work for the hardcore stuff... I do photography as well and enjoy carrying around a portable workstation.

    anyways I saw this Imac on the site and its very tempting.

    I've been waiting for the i5s and i7s to come out for the portable line for a while now, and I have a feeling it won't happen till the summer in order so that it doesn't over shadow the iPad release and hype to come.

    As of now I have a solid way of getting $1300 and I know it won't last especially with the new ones coming, so thats why I was in a rush to purchase the 2.8 C2D, but I might as well wait or go towards the imac...

Share This Page