Is it worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dustinoverboard, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dustinoverboard macrumors newbie

I currently have a 16gb 1st gen iPod touch and considering the headphone jack is messed up and I'd prefer to be able to hear my music/games without headphones.. I wanna buy the latest iPod Touch. Is it worth shelling out the 300 bucks (gonna be getting a 32gb). Is it faster, and I'll be able to use iOS4, correct?

2. Stiggy1605 macrumors newbie

The newer iPod Touches are a lot faster, 600MHz processor and twice the memory compared to the 1Gs 412MHz and 128MB of memory. Plus it'll come with iOS4 which is decent on the faster iDevices. Although I would wait to see what September brings, Apple tends to release new iPod Touches then.

Pure speculation by me here, but since the iPod Touches are the gaming focused iDevices, we would probably be getting the gyroscope come September.

3. dustinoverboard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying so quick. I'm leaving for a vacation this weekend, so I'd rather buy a new iPod before then instead of waiting until September. I don't wanna have to wiggle the headphones constantly to be able to hear music.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Have you tried the Q-Tip trick yet: There is a chance something sticky was on one of your headphone jacks and the port is dirty, and the connectors inside the port can't make a firm connection. IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY, get a Q tip, rip most of the cotton off the end then twist the remaining cotton fibers around the end (not a point) to the size where it will fit in the port. With the Touch turned OFF, get a bottle of 93-98% rubbing alchohol (less water, will evaporate more quickly and completely with less chance of corrosion), wet the stripped end and then slowly, gently twirl it into the jack going the same direction as the fibers are wrapped so that you dont sheer off fibers inside the jack. Twirl it into the port as far as it will go with a little pressure. Remove it and examine it for signs (color change) of dirt or junk. You may need to repeat this step several times. Wait about 10 minutes for the alchohol to dry completely (you can blow at (not in) the port or use a hair dryer with the heat turned off). Check the headphone jacks for dirt or sticky substance while you wait for the alchohol to dry. Once there is no longer the strong aroma of alcohol at the port, you can try turning the Touch back on, and plugging in one of your clean jacks.