is it worth to buy quicktime pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by msarway, Oct 20, 2008.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

hi what are the advantages to buying quicktime pro full version. or should i remove it and buy something better. now all i have s the version that came with my mackbook pro.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wirelessly posted (iPhone G3 (64GB, 2.4): Mozilla/7.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_4 like Mac OS X; en-ca) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Geico) Version/3.7.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The ability to edit, save and export videos makes it worth it to me.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Basically, this.

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I vote no. There are a lot of free, superior video editing programs out there that will duplicate it's functionality. Plus exporting with quicktime is slow.

5. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Such as..... :confused:

6. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

ok but what programs would u use. please provide list.

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

QTAmateur can do 90% of what matters of the Quicktime Pro abilities, MPEG Streamclip is also good to have.

And to the OP, it is not advisable to "remove" Quicktime.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Dear Jakerin, how wouid you rate those player to vlc player?

9. jackerin macrumors 6502a

For pure conversion I'd say VLC has the edge in speed and formats supported. For frame-accurate editing, QTAmateur (or MPEG Streamclip for mpegs) wins hands down.

Luckily you don't have to choose between them since they're all free. I've mixed and matched in the past by opening a wmv in Quicktime, making subtitles using the qttext, then opening the reference file in ffmpegX set to decode using quicktime and encoded to Xvid with ffmpeg.

10. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

Thanks to all but if you had to use 1 program for all your needs let me know what it would be. i know all our needs are different but for the everyday user what would be the best.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wirelessly posted via a group of monkeys using a typewrite / Ribbon 1.1 / Paper 2.0
    I'd say Quicktime Pro.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

There isn't one app fitting all needs, especially your needs might be different.

What do you need?

Anyway, if you can afford it, and have the $$$, go ahead buy it. some people, including me, might have practical or ideological objections to it. You should just follow whatever fits you best.

Finally, for video operation, I use avidemux, Free Open Source app. Or ffmpegx, free too.

13. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Yeah, I have both! I'm not paying for something that can be found for free. This is practical and ideological. Quicktime pro seems like such a sham to me. I'm just saying.

14. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If meat grew on trees, what colour would the leaves be?

My recommendation: look at your options, compare their features, then make your own mind up based on what you think.

15. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

When I engineer meat trees I will make them available in multiple colors and of course flavors. Thank you for your interest.

<RANT>
    Seriously though, Quicktime Pro = fail - because you should be able to do simple things (like save a .mov from the web) without needing a pro app. Apple purposely removed the ability to do this in the regular Quicktime app to get users to go to the Pro version.

Wait...this sounds familiar. Kind of like the removal of Firewire from the MacBook! This isn't what I was planning on writing about but is a very similar kind of EPIC FAIL. And what about the features in iMovie '06 that were removed in '08?

What's next, TextEdit Pro?

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Apple on the whole. But downgrading a product's feature set to drive more consumers to go pro is wrong. How about adding more features to the pro apps rather than taking away from the consumer-end?!
    </RANT>