Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I am planning to buy M2 iPad Pro 11 inch having 256GB storage. Is it worth to pay extra $100 for cellular. If I am carrying my iPad out of my house I will connect internet through my iPhone by using Wi-Fi hotspot. But its shocking that iPads without cellular doesn't support GPS. It is something that I need, because I access maps on bigger screen

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I am planning to buy M2 iPad Pro 11 inch having 256GB storage. Is it worth to pay extra $100 for cellular. If I am carrying my iPad out of my house I will connect internet through my iPhone by using Wi-Fi hotspot. But its shocking that iPads without cellular doesn't support GPS. It is something that I need, because I access maps on bigger screen
Go for it

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I think so, provided you think you will get use and you get a good deal with the data plan. I have a very large phone data allowance and a 2nd sim which allows my iPad to share it, so for me it’s no extra cost other than the initial outlay.

Reactions: maverick786us

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
If Wi-Fi only model can infer GPS location database lookup of neighboring WIFI networks or from my iPhone. I am OK with it. Is it possible?

Reactions: jagooch

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Used to be on the fence about Cellular add-on, but it’s so convenient. Despite having an iPhone and AT&T plan for decent hotspot GBs, nothing beats the efficiency/ease of having an iPad that already has Cellular functionality that is always on.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If Wi-Fi only model can infer GPS location database lookup of neighboring WIFI networks or from my iPhone. I am OK with it. Is it possible?

Possible but not with the accuracy of GPS.

I posted this back in 2021 -

I tested with my WiFi-only 2021 12.9 Pro & cellular Mini 6, driving around a dense residential area with Google maps. As expected, the Mini 6 with GPS was right on. The 12.9 tracking was not very good, often off by a couple of hundred feet and with very erratic position updates. I tried both tethered to my 12 Pro Max and untethered - didn't make any difference in position accuracy.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
Possible but not with the accuracy of GPS.

I posted this back in 2021 -

I tested with my WiFi-only 2021 12.9 Pro & cellular Mini 6, driving around a dense residential area with Google maps. As expected, the Mini 6 with GPS was right on. The 12.9 tracking was not very good, often off by a couple of hundred feet and with very erratic position updates. I tried both tethered to my 12 Pro Max and untethered - didn't make any difference in position accuracy.

I hear you, I will consider it

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
If maps on a big screen is one of your huge needs, and you plan on keeping the iPad for a while, I would get it. $100 over a few years is not much for a much better experience, especially if you plan on using it regularly. Also, here are a few ‘what if’s that could be avoided. What if my phone is dead? I’m in a city, what if it takes me down the wrong street and I’m late for something?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I chose to stick with a WiFi iPad. But, I very seldom use my iPad for navigation (practically never). I do tether to my iPhone for data, and that usually works fine.

When tethered to my iPhone, the iPad seems to gain location data from the phone - I’ve noticed that when I pull up Maps to look up a location or estimate a drive time, it seems to know where I am with some precision. I don’t know if that would “lag” if I were trying to navigate, or if it would have a greater battery drain on the iPad or iPhone doing so. It would certainly increase possible points of failure.

So if I were wanting to navigate with iPad, I’d certainly get a cellular iPad, even if I just downloaded maps via WiFi and ran it without a cellular plan.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Another vote for the cellular version. I believe that it is definitely better to have it and not need it than not have it and realize later on you need it. Plus, the gps accuracy is a bonus as well as having more resale value in the future.

I have used my cellular version iPad with a local sim while traveling as a hotspot for my MacBook and it allowed me to keep my phone on my home sim while not incurring any data roaming charges on it.

If you keep your iPad for 4-5 years, it works out as only $20-25 a year over that time.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

That topic has been discussed often around here hence I encourage you to use the search function or scroll over a few pages to find similar discussions and more information.
Personally, wifi only on my iPads since gen 1 and no regrets.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
It depends on how much money you have I think. I have it set to where my iPad will automatically turn on my iPhone’s hotspot instead of asking (can be changed in settings) but I find even that to have a 30-45 second spot in the middle where it has no internet before the connection comes back.

For “GPS” on WiFi models, it infers it like a Mac if you don’t have cellular. I’d say it’s accurate enough to be usable. But not for turn by turn navigation. And on interstates the location basically stops working.

The next iPad I get will probably be a cellular because I would prefer the convenience of it just having internet at all times. I also get annoyed because the widgets will go to “no internet connection” and take a very long time before they resume normal functionality when it gets internet again.

P.S. : For anyone curious why the only cellular has GPS, it’s because GPS is integrated into the cellular modem, they don’t have a separate chip.

NightfallOrchid

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2019
I would always go for the cellular version, especially if you plan to keep the iPad for a good few years. Even if you don't plan on using the cellular functionality right away, the difference in price to the Wi-Fi version isn't that big, and you might regret going for the Wi-Fi only version some time later down the line.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Unless you're a corporate businessman who does a lot of traveling, not really. Just use your phone hotspot instead.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My cellular iPad basically replaces 90% of my phone need. I can live temporarily without my phone, but definitely not the other way around. I even have a costly cellular plan to go with it. I don’t travel like a businessman, but cellular saves me so many occasions I can’t even count. You would not want to go back to wifi only if you use it extensively for a while, with the notable exception being your daily routine relatively fixed.
No. Wifi only model can’t get GPS location. It uses nearby wifi to try to estimate where you are. The more remote you go the less accurate it becomes, up to a point of no idea.
My M1 MacBook Pro doesn't have GPS, still while I use Google Maps it’s able to find precise location. How
It can because it uses your wifi to know where you are. There is no GPS on any MacBook.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
For $100, it is worth it either for GPS or other needs. I always get cellular version. I refuse to use public WiFi as it is not secure. Good luck in your decision 😊

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My cellular iPad basically replaces 90% of my phone need. I can live temporarily without my phone, but definitely not the other way around. I even have a costly cellular plan to go with it. I don’t travel like a businessman, but cellular saves me so many occasions I can’t even count. You would not want to go back to wifi only if you use it extensively for a while, with the notable exception being your daily routine relatively fixed.

No. Wifi only model can’t get GPS location. It uses nearby wifi to try to estimate where you are. The more remote you go the less accurate it becomes, up to a point of no idea.

It can because it uses your wifi to know where you are. There is no GPS on any MacBook.

It should also be noted that position data is not passed on the hotspot interface. The WiFi position estimation on the iPad is done by the iPad's WiFi modem when connected to a hotspot.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
I’ve got cell in my last 3 iPads and really enjoy it. Makes working from coffee shop or in car entertainment super easy and the specials from carriers offsets the cost.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don't care about GPS, but I don't want to drain ma phone battery and I don't even have an iPhone, so it's a bit more complicated. Also, I want to use a local SIM when abroad to save money...
The question is do you want a data plan? I have 3, unlimited data, $10 each (but for most people one is more than enough) and it's a luxury I am willing to pay for the comfort of being always connected with my devices (windows laptops and iPads) without messing around with my phone.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
TBH, the only reason I got the cellular version is precisely because it has GPS. Otherwise, I don't need it. It is amazing that only the cell version has GPS :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.