Is it worth to upgrate to new MacBook Pro 13 2019?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bazzar701, Jun 10, 2019.

1. bazzar701 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have been using a MacBook Pro 15 mid-2014 over the last 5 years for work only (photography editing) and it was always an amazing machine. Luckily never had any problem with it. Over the last few months I started thinking about the next computer for a few reasons: reliability, speed, and some new features.

Because I travel a lot, I decided to go with the new MacBook Pro TB 13'' 2019 instead of 15'' and I was a bit puzzled with the specs:

• MacBook Pro 15'' mid-2014 - (i7 2,5Ghz , 16Gb RAM, Retina, 512GB SSD) - MacBookPro11,3
    • MacBook Pro 13'' 2019 (i7 2,8Ghz, 16Ghz , 16Gb RAM, Retina, 512GB SSD)

Apparently they are very similar in specs but have some slight changes:

• Same number of cores but benchmark is improved from 13800 (MBP15) to 18500 (MBP13)
    • RAM was 1600Mhz and now is 2133Mhz
    • Battery is better and improved (8hours vs 10hours
    • Connectivity is now faster (USBC)
    • Touch Bar is nice but not needed
    • MacOS is why I keep with Apple

But my question is: is it worth to pay 2900€ (3250$) for the new MacBook Pro 13?

Although I can get about half the price (1500€) selling the old one, I was wondering if it is really worth it or should i keep MBP15 2014 for a little longer?
    I really fear that it fails when i really need it the most.

I even considered a Dell XPS 13 2019 but it is hard to move to Windows 10...

Please let me know your thoughts and experience!
    Thanks a lot in advance!

2. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

It really depends on if you're really desperate for an update based on your usage or not. My view is that the current gen MPB design is now almost 3 years old and might be due for a substantial design update especially given the keyboards issues that have been so well documented. Also 28W 10nm Intel CPU's (Ice Lake) are finally upon us and are the kind you'd find in the 13" MBP. The 10nm chips should provide a significant jump in battery life and integrated graphics on top of the usual CPU speed improvements.

3. bazzar701 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have read that Ice Lake CPUS will be ready for volume shipment in laptops, likely sometime at the end of the year and early 2020.

I totally understand that possibility, but regarding the last episodes with screens, cables and keyboards, i am not very fond to risk into a new MacBook Pro generation.
    As a professional i value much more the reliability than specs or design update. That is a bit useless for me and many other professionals out there, i believe.

I cannot understand how we spend so much in MacBook Pros that still have major issues like keyboard. How is that even possible nowadays?

If i decide to go into a new MacBook Pro, this will be my third MBP that i feel that will be the last one before moving on.
    And Apple isn't improving or making decisions easier for us.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I, for one, am waiting for the 2020 update, which hopefully is a new design. My 2011 is still rocking along, albeit slowly, but I think I can hold out for a new one. I tried out the 2019 model's keyboard, and I am unsure I will be happy using it on a daily basis.

5. oak1971 macrumors newbie

oak1971

Someone spilled a glass of water on my 2014, so instead of getting a new Tim Cook model for stupid cash, I got a refurbished 2012 with 16gb ram, a 1 TB SSHD a I5 processor. Plenty of ports and upgraded internal dvd. For like $850. Much better specs than my last 13" and cheaper. Leaves cash left to fix the old one yet. Could have went for a faster processor, but this works great!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    I'm really curious, just being a frustrated average user guy, what you would move on to? Not a fanboy of anything, getting the feeling that everything is turning to crap.

6. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

There are 2 ways to look at this post, and neither are wrong, just purely subjective.

The current MBP is now almost 3 years old, and the main issues that have come up on this generation are addressed or fixed. You are getting the best version of this generation. Many people find the 2015 to be the best MacBook Pro, but interestingly, earlier versions of that generation ran into issues as well.

I feel when the next generation gets released to the masses with tons of use case scenarios that could never had been tested for there will be a couple of new issues that crop up on that, and the 2nd and 3rd versions of that new generation will improve upon, fix, and address issues that arise on previous versions.

Ultimately, it’s your money. Technology has come a long way in 5 years, and will go much further 5 years from now. That little 13” is definitely a better machine than anything from 5 years ago as the components are so much more advance.

Good luck! Please let us know what you ultimately decide.

7. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I went from 2013 13" MacBook Pro to the 2018 13" MBP and I love it. It is so powerful yet more portable and the USB C ports are a total blessing for me since they provide so much expandability

8. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

I get the feeling that if it was like a movie script... and Steve was able to come back and he found out what had been going on in the last seven years a rotten apple would be hitting the fan.