Is it worth upgrading? 2009 MBP to 2012 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bking1000, Jan 20, 2016.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Is it worth upgrading my laptop?

I have a 2009 13" MBP C2D 2.26GHz, 8GB RAM, GeForce 9400M 256MB video card and I run dual internal drives -- 250GB SSD OS and apps disk and a 750GB HDD (I think it's 5400 RPM). This is running El Capitain.

I have been finding lately that a number of things are running slower. Oddly enough, it's mostly more common tasks -- my web-based mail, anything having to do with firefox. The system is somewhat sluggish in general. LR5 is still OK, though I've become largely a JPG shooter and I am mostly processing 20-24 megapixel files (and I shoot my a6000 at 12MP in jpg). Maybe because I don't do raw much anymore, I don't see a difference?

I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 MBP with i5 2.6GHz. I like that model year, because I could continue with the dual drive situation, my FW external backup devices, etc. I don't have to rebuild my entire workflow.

But is that enough of an upgrade?

I also have an Air, so I don't NEED a laptop, so my other thought was go with the latest macmini, to which I can add external drives, but the idea of a laptop and mobility (just in case) is always appealing.

I would like to keep it under $1K for an upgrade, so a brand new MBP with all new lightening devices, etc. is out of the budget.

Thanks for any help/thoughts

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

For around $1k, you could buy the "top-level" Mini. Comes with 8gb of RAM and a 1tb fusion drive standard (fusion drive has 120gb SSD portion and 1tb HDD portion). IRIS graphics.

3. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Did you try maintenance of your computer apps such as Onyx, and Macscan?. Might try un-bloating first, and tracker cookies tend to slow things down if you have hundreds of them.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your current machine has a geekbench score of 2340.

A 2015 machine with the i5 2.6Ghz scores 5689.

That's about a 140% increase in raw processing power.

I rest my case.