Is it worth upgrading from FCP6 to FCP7?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nyzwerewolf, Aug 1, 2009.

1. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

hey guys,

I got hold of Final Cut Studio 3. About 50GB (including installation disc & content). I have a Canon Vixia HF11. So I work with AVCHD to ProRes transcoded footage. In FCP6 AVCHD was transcoded to ProRes 422. Is there a better type of ProRes codec that AVCHD uses in FCP7? If there is not, then it is not worth going through the pain of upgrading from FCP6 to FCP7. I do not use Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Color. I would like to learn Color, but not sure if I am going to see a major difference moving from Color 1 to Color 1.5.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Thanks a lot!
    Lowell

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If you have to ask, the answer is no, you do not need it. Return it if you paid for it. There is not a better (Do you mean more compressed? Higher quality? "Better" says nothing.) ProRes codec for AVCHD to use in FCP7, if only because AVCHD can't even come close to filling available quality provided in FCP6. AVCHD is a fairly low-tier format, so don't expect improvement in its use except if  added native handling, which they did not.

Read 's website. They tell you what all the notable new features are - if, after reading this, you still don't know, then you're not using FCP6 extensively enough to need to upgrade. The same applies to Color, except that the interface was probably fixed a little in this release.