Is it worth upgrading from JB 3.2.1 to 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by md63, Mar 4, 2011.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

I have an iPad with 3.2.1 which I jailbroke using jailbreakme.com. I have never upgraded since and I was wondering if its worth upgrading to 4.2.1 and how difficult it is to JB. The website jailbreak was so easy that I could not resist but I don't have alot of experience at this type of thing. I have noticed some newer apps are requiring 4.0 and higher so I guess I will eventually need to upgrade.

I was looking into the VM memory hack and noticed several references that 4.2.1 has this native capability. Overall i'm satisfied with the performance as is but would appreciate your thoughts on whether its time to upgrade and JB again. Thanks.

2. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Personally, I can't even fathom still being on 3.2.1, considering how many changes/features have been added since then to 4.2.1. And considering how easy it is to jailbreak, it's a total no-brainer.

3. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I totally agree.

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

It is very easy to jb 4.2.1 now. The improvements to the OS certainly make it worthwhile as does the ability to run all the latest apps. Virtual memory hack is no longer required.

5. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your replies. Could someone point me in the right direction on how to jailbreak 4.2.1?

Thanks

6. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

Is it?, is there a really easy to use tool for a proper (untethered) jailbreak?. I've not looked upgrading from 3.2 as I'm not interested in any of the new features, but I keep seeing games I can't buy because I don't have a new ios.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The current jb programs aren't as easy as jailbreakme.com. Considering the OP is too lazy to research what's available, the jb programs might require too much effort. :rolleyes:

8. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not that I'm too lazy to research whats available. I actually have done research on the subject, which raised a number of questions. I'm not an expert at hacking iPad. I also have a job, two kids and not a lot of time to troubleshoot a problem if I mess up my iPad configuration. Apparently you have plenty of time on your hands to make utterly useless comments. :cool:

9. iThinman macrumors regular

lol, who said the page file hack is no longer needed? Like a fool, I believed that comment and did the upgrade and re-jailbreak.

Yes, you no longer need the page file hack....if you enjoy going back to watching your tabs reload because iOS shut down your browser to provide memory to another app.

Can somebody please tell me that the page file hack still works on 4.2.1.

This things is basically useless to me without it.

10. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4.2.1 is not worth it unless you want MIDI and want to loose CCK functionality. Stay on 3.2

11. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You, sir, are totally insane :)

Look at all the features, fixes, security patches and niceties that've been added to iPad since 3.2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#current