Is it worth Upgrading from MB to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michaelsviews, Feb 29, 2008.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Have brand new macbook sr 2.2 120hd, 4gig ram, and have opportunity to go back to a MBP looking at entry level and getting full cost of MB back with no restocking fee. All I have to do is pay the difference with my discount applied to the purchase also. Play a game or two here and there, mainly web email blogging and live video. Tried playing with crossover on the MB and the fans kick into high gear all the time. Apple says thats normal. I know with the previous MBP a 2.16 I rarely ever heard the fans kick on if at all. Use a mouse primarily but a friend told me the LED screens are awesome. I would put 4 gig of ram in the new MBP.

Any and all opinions , observations appreciated.:apple:

Michael

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Here's my opinion:

I think Apple are playing the usual economics trick - the MB is a fantastic machine. It's fast, powerful, well built etc. But I don't think the MBP is £600 'better'.

The MBP is slightly faster, slightly more powerful, slightly better built but, by putting in things like a backlit keyboard, multi-touch trackpad etc., it persuades people to part with the extra cash.

And it worked for me. My new MBP is on its way.

MB is a great machine, MBP is a slightly greater machine but with much, much greater desireability.

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

glossy

The MBP is the only one though for people who need a matte screen.
    just another Data point

4. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply , my only other thought's are being able to play a game or two with my son on line through Crossover/Steam . With that said would the 2.4 w/256 video ram be enough? I really do NOT want to have to listen to fans while playing the game?

Michael

5. ct04 macrumors member

the thing that sold me was the dedicated video card. it's not the best video card in the world, but if you play a game or two like me, you'll want it to at least look pretty on your brand new computer. that 13" screen is also just too small, and the .4 lb bump from mb to mbp doesnt seem too bad for those extra two inches... i was in the same boat as you, but i eventually decided for the mbp, mb is a little too email/web/music/writing for me to be happy w/ it for the next 3-4 years.

just saw your post--there's a thread about gaming on the new mbp and they were saying that orange box looks beautiful on the 2.4 256. i hope it does.... that's my future baby!

6. Azmordean macrumors 6502

This depends on your uses. The biggest single performance difference between MBP and MB in my mind is in the video arena. MBP has a real video card, and a good one at that, and the MB has integrated video that's barely better than the Radeon 7000 from iBook days. For many uses that doesn't matter, but if you like to do things like gaming, at all, its huge. Take WoW for example - 20fps and barely playable on a MacBook to 60-110 FPS at high detail on a MBP. That's a huge difference, and even though I don't game much, the *ability* to do it if I want to is a key part of my decision to go with an MBP when I purchase.

7. aksmax macrumors member

I have both

I've had powerbooks for many years. My latest is a PB 1.67Ghz G4. When we decided on a second computer, we got a macbook 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo.

In almost every way, I find the PB at least marginally better. When I happen to switch over to the MB, I can't believe the difference. From a performance perspective, the PB is still zippier than the MB, despite it's age. Add to that things like the screen real estate and that awesome backlit keyboard and for me it's a no brainer. The latest speed boost and multi touch just take it further.

I agree on noise too. The MB fan kicks in even watching youtube videos.

Don't get me wrong. The MB is a great machine and more than adequate or almost everything.

But I think the price difference is way more than worth it, if you can possibly swing it. Especially if you think about that difference spread across the life of the machine and the amount you use it.

It's time to replace my PB and I know from first hand experience that it'll be a MBP.

FYI, 256 Mb vram should be absolutely fine for gaming, and the MB fan isn't all that loud, if you decide to go that way.

8. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes it is

Brand New sparkling MBP 15, and running awesomely with 4 gig of Ram and the OS reinstalled with out all the extra files. Also , the wireless range is the same as what was in my macbook if not a little better from where the computer sits I can see 5 different networks, One being mine and the rest are neighbors. Screen display is great, went with glossy, temperature is really low. Feel on keyboard is smooth , although I prefer a rough, kinda like finish but this is fine.

Thank you to all that commented, went with the base model, because of money and also recommendation from the ASM that I was dealing with, wanted a 17inch but thats just nuts for what I am doing.

Now to load crossover and the steam acct and play some TF2 and see how this really runs.

Also have to figure out what address book does not like the contacts that were exported from the macbook and wont import it on here.

Thanks again to all

Michael