Is it worth upgrading my 2015 Pro w/ retina to a 2017?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jacoblee23, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I have an i5 Pro from 2015. Am i missing out on anything that would be worth the upgrade ?

2. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I am struggling to justify upgrading my 2014 pro for a 2017. I suppose the biggest thing you'd be missing out on is the OSX support for an eGPU via thunderbolt.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

If you're struggling to justify an upgrade then you simply don't need one. If your current computer is serving your needs just fine, why are you even thing of an upgrade? Don't be taken in by flashy marketing!

Upgrade when you need, not simply when something is new. Then you'll know what you need and can get it. And won't need to start a thread asking people what you should know you need.

Anyway, not missing much. Just thinner/more portable computer. I wouldn't upgrade from a 2015 myself, you've brought right at the end of a generation so you should think again in 2019 or hang on till refresh in 2020ish.

4. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

My reason fro upgrading is that my AppleCare is coming to the end. It's worth every cent!

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

If your computer breaks after AppleCare, you'd likely want to be buying a new one correct? And you're struggling to justify an upgrade now... So why upgrade now? Why not wait till your computer breaks and then upgrade?

6. pixelatedscraps macrumors regular

pixelatedscraps

None at all. I struggle to see any real benefit of the 2017 model over the 2014 and 2015 models I run in my studio. TouchBar is a gimmick in its current incarnation, there is a marginal speed bump (and no memory increase), negligible increase to battery life. Unless you really require USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 connections for eGPU purposes I would save your money and wait to see if Apple pull their finger out for the 2018 refresh.

7. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

What you have said does make a lot of sense. But there are other reasons too, such a a change of keyboard (I moved from the UK to Australia).

8. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Well that's different to AC though.

Do Australians use different keyboards? I thought it was just a US version? I hate typing on US keyboards, constantly hitting back-slash instead of enter :(. Why would you need to change the keyboard though?

9. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

10. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

i actually returned the touchbar model and got a 2015 instead cause i couldn't stand the tacky keyboard. the battery is ok but no where near a full day charge.

11. vjobs macrumors regular

Depends on your usage. Also, how much is the upgrade gonna cost you? How much will you sell your old MacBook Pro? Etc. etc.

12. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

I had a 2015 13" and now I have a 2017 13". The differences are:

Noticeable improvements:

Thinner and lighter
    Better graphics chip if you every play games on it

Minor improvements:

Slightly faster CPU
    Slightly better screen colors
    Bigger trackpad

Not sure if they are really improvements:

Keyboard is different (better? worse? eh.)
    USB-C
    No MagSafe
    Touchbar if you're into that (I'm not)

13. systemr macrumors newbie

systemr

no. i got my 2012 replaced with a 2016 during the whole battery debacle and its not really much better/faster for my usage

14. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

It because we use US keyboards at work, so it's difficult to keep switching back. :(

15. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman