Is it worth upgrading my D40 to a D80 for lens variety?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pageerror404, Jan 15, 2010.

1. pageerror404 macrumors newbie

I have been hearing from lots of people that the some best lenses ever made are the older generations of nikon fixed zooms. I heard that they are extremely sharp and reliable and well worth using. Unfortunately the shortcomings of my D40 are starting to show because most of these lenses will not autofocus with the camera.

Also I want to use an SB-600 off-camera with TTL, something I apparently cannot do on the D40.

Are the lenses really worthwhile? Would it be a good idea to sell my camera and purchase a D80? Would I even possibly end up saving money on lenses since I can use older ones?

Also, what about the D70? I heard its one of the best cameras nikon has ever made. Does its flash have commander mode?

2. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Not only do you get more lens options with a D80, the D80 has a much, much better viewfinder.

The D70 can serve as a command unit for Nikon's new flash system, but to be honest, I'd skip the D70 and get a D80.

3. CountBrass macrumors regular

Don't.

The D40 is a better camera than the D80. It's smaller and lighter. The *only* advantage is that the D80 can use some of the older lenses. The D40 and the D80 have the same, crappy, light meters (the only flaw in the D40, but you can compensate with changes to the camera settings for most cases).

The D40 is a really good camera, even today. I still have mine which I bought in Japan the day it came out.

If you really must buy a newer Nikon then consider the D90 which is a much, much better camera than the D80 (which is obsolete) and as it's not the latest and greatest you should be able to get it for a reasonable price.

4. svndmvn Guest

If you really must buy a newer Nikon then consider the D90 which is a much, much better camera than the D80 (which is obsolete) and as it's not the latest and greatest you should be able to get it for a reasonable price.
    was about to post the same thing, just go for the D90, it will probably be updated around August. Much better than the D80 and not just because of the video feature. The D80 wouldn't be a huge jump from the D40, I'd actually prefer the last one to the D80..

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

What about the much larger and brighter viewfinder? That was enough for me to upgrade from a D70 to a D80.

6. iTiki macrumors 6502

Another vote for going to the D90. Prices are good now.

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If you want to use primes, yes it's worth the switch (I wouldn't definitively call it an "upgrade"). If you want to stay with zooms (where Nikon shines) the no it's not worth it IMO. All of the best zooms are AF-S anyway.

If we're talking D200 or D90 or above, then yes I'd make the switch. D200 has some serious advantages which can't be ignored. D90 is like D300 lite!

SLC

8. pageerror404 thread starter macrumors newbie

what is so good about the d200? that might be an option

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

A lot better AF than even the D80, Magnesium body, weather sealing, 100% viewfinder, better meter, and a more professionally oriented layout. I think it's got interchangeable finder screens as well (though that's not really that big a deal).

It's a lot more camera, and I should think it wouldn't be a ton of money these days.

Though it's probably a lot more than a D80 right now. Should be about $700 for a really nice condition one.

SLC

10. pageerror404 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its actually not a whole lot more. The absolute cheapest I can find a D80 is $600 refurbished. I like your advice, let me check prices on the D200

11. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Might I suggest taking a look at KEH.com They are a very reputable dealer, and their equipment is always in better shape than they claim it to be. I'd have no trouble recommending them to anybody, their prices are where I got the $700.00 estimate. They had an EX or EX+ condition body for $695.00 I believe tonight.

SLC