Is it worth upgrading the RAM in my early-2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, Aug 20, 2014.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

...or should I just put that money toward a new computer for down the road?

Right now it has 4 GB RAM. I notice my computer seems a bit slower and I do get the beach ball a little more often; I'm wondering if that's due to the RAM in my computer. I'm running OS X Mavericks. Very happy with the computer, and not sure if it's worth updating the RAM or just leaving it as is for now and putting the money toward a new MBP/MBA/Apple computer of some sort in the future.

TIA!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refer to the following Apple support article for more information on how to understand your Activity Monitor readings.
    If your memory is usually or always in the green under your normal workload, it's unlikely you'll see any benefit from more RAM.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Invest the money in a SSD if you haven't already. You'll see much larger gains.

4. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! This was very helpful. Mine looks to be consistently in the Amber. My usage hasn't really changed too much since when I first got my MBP in 2011. I guess some programs are just more intensive now?

----------

I don't have an SSD. Original HDD. I'll look into the costs of an SSD and see if that would be worth doing or if I should just wait until I get a new computer (which will have an SSD). TY!

5. HBP macrumors member

Update SSD ($100ish), throw original drive in optibay, and upgrade ram to 8-16gb.

Will feel like a brand new laptop for ~$200.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the OP indicated, they're not maxing out the RAM they have, so buying more would not improve performance. The SSD would certainly help.