Is it worth upgrading to iOS 4.3.1 JUST to get the multitasking gestures?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gochi, Mar 31, 2011.

1. gochi macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Are the multitasking gestures in ios 4.3.1 significantly better than those found in ios 4.2.1?

Watching videos of ios 4.3.1, it seems to me that multitasking in 4.3.1 is very natural, as opposed to 4.2 where you have to double click the home button every time.

I was wondering if it was worth it to upgrade to a version, which doesnt have a JB, just to get phenomenal multi-tasking capabilities.

Also, would it be possible, to perhaps get the same multi tasking gestures that are found in ios 4.3.1, on ios 4.2.1?

2. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

The gestures are nothing to do with 4.3.1. They're to do with Dev mode. You basically pay for and download X Code from the Mac App Store and when you run it, whilst your device is plugged in, it asks if you want to use this device for development. Agree that you do and the gestures are enabled. Turn them on and off in settings.

3. outphase macrumors 65816

They were added in the 4.3 beta

4. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY FOR XCODE for like the 50 BILLIONTH thread I've had to point this out in.... sheesh

If you want the gestures do this - REGISTER AS A FREE APPLE DEV - http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

Then download XCODE 3 with the iOS SDK. (it's a 10gb install so be ready, but it's free). Then follow these instructions - http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12055397&postcount=344

You can disregard installing the 4.3GM if you already have 4.3 or 4.3.1 on your iPad. DONE. NO $, Just gestures! -- EDIT Afterwards you can uninstall XCode, just know that you will have to re-enable the gestures should your iPad get wiped or need to be restored.

5. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes, I am aware of xcode and how to go on about enabling gestures in ios 4.3.1 with xcode.

But, can I also enable these gestures on an ipad having ios 4.2.1?

I originally thought that the multitasking gestures were part of ios 4.3.1 and thus, could not be enabled in ios 4.2.1, as its a different OS.

6. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

The gestures are only on 4.3 and up. Personally I don't think I could go on without them. They are fantastic once you break away from using the home button.

On my iPad 2 with smart cover, I almost never use the home button.

7. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

Darnnnnnnn it!

I am not sure if the benefits of JB iOS 4.2.1 outweigh the functionality of multitasking gestures found in iOS 4.3.1

8. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Can you explain some of these multi tasking gestures to me? Like what kind of gestures do what? Is it fully customizable to do pretty much whatever you want? Also is it simple to set up?

9. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Just curious, what JB stuff did you find useful on iPad?

10. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Just google iPad multitasking gestures and watch a video.

They pretty much eliminate the use of the home button for multitasking and allow you to swipe between apps with 4 fingers.

11. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Exactly. They're to do with 4.3, not 4.3.1. :)

I know you don't NEED to pay for it. However, you get the most up to date version of XCode (incase you fancy diving in and playing about with the software using tutorials online). Should've pointed that out but seriously, breathe - it's only £5!

Agreed.

OP, gestures are:
    - 5 Finger pinch inwards in any app and you go back to home screen.
    - 4 finger swipe left or right to switch apps (according to their order in the multitasking bar)
    - 4 finger swipe up to show mutiltasking bar
    - 4 finger swipe down to hide multitasking bar

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. It is so totally going to svck if Apple drops them from a subsequent iOS release... :eek:

13. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Hopefully it's fully implemented into iOS 5. I would have a hard time upgrading of they are taken out.

14. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Loving it. I thought I was going to break my home button. Too many apps not to have gestures

15. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The gestures have honestly made a huge difference in how i use the device. I was messing with another iPad recently that didn't have them enabled and it really bugged me.