Is it worth upgrading to Leopard for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glanv, Jul 7, 2008.

1. glanv macrumors regular

Hello everybody!

Just wondering whether I should upgrade to Leopard for the iPhone 3g? Been wanting to do it for a few months, so may as well anyway. If anyone knows of any advantages to doing this please post.

If I was to stick with Tiger, does anyone know if I was to upgrade to Leopard after pairing the phone with Tiger, would I encounter and problems / difficulties?

Cheers!

2. Pooshka macrumors 65816

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You don't have to, but why aren't you already?

4. MacMalv macrumors regular

i doubt very much there would be any problems when upgrading, and you dont have to have leopard for the iphone, do you?

5. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

God I hope so, because I did. I upgraded my hard drive and upgraded to leopard this weekend.

6. glanv thread starter macrumors regular

Wooh! Easy tigers! Haha! I've never really got round to it, I study a hell of a lot and work long hours (almost a chartered management accountant, which isn't easy) and don't get a lot of free time. Although, all my free time has been spent on MR recently!

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

For me, Leopard has added absolutely nothing. There isn't a single feature which it has introduced which I've thought "wow, yeah, I can't be without that anymore". Of course Boot Camp is now a part of it, but if you're not interested in that Tiger is just fine.

Tiger is also much more stable than Leopard.

8. kaworu1986 macrumors member

kaworu1986

How about a finder that isn't useless and frustrating as well as apps that don't crash every day?

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

contradiction. depends on app

also, i use time machine, spaces, improved finder, same GUI everywhere, faster (on intel)

10. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

lol....are you serious?! i'm glad you're content then because now that i've used Spaces.....i could never go back to Tiger. I really enjoy Time Machine too.

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I've upgraded to Leopard a while ago, and I love it.

I don't have an iPhone yet, but I don't think there is any improved interoperatability between the phone and the new OS. So it's just up to you.

12. elbirth macrumors 65816

Leopard doesn't have a single groundbreaking update that makes it amazing, but all of the smaller updates do tend to add up. I feel much more secure having Time Machine constantly backing up things (I haven't had to use it yet, but I have deleted and restored some "test" files just to make sure it does in fact work... would suck to have a false sense of security then find out the backup doesn't even work)
    Spaces is very handy if you do a lot of multi-tasking, Quicklook is one of my favorite features because I always find myself wanting to preview various files. My laptop still has Tiger and I find myself always hitting the spacebar to preview something but finding out I can't. The Finder is improved yes, but it's not a huge fix (but then again, there's no much to fix... the tabbed Finder that people keep wanting would just be dumb on such a drag-and-drop heavy interface like OS X, IMO)

Features aside, the overall look of Leopard just feels vastly improved and much sleeker overall.

You must be one of the people that don't do much on their computer aside from email and web browsing. If you used your computer for actual work, there's plenty that Leopard offers that lends an extra hand. And saying Tiger is more stable? Now that's just silly. Leopard has proved much more stable than Tiger did- not that Tiger had many stability issues)

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Time Machine is worth the upgrade. It finally made backing up easy enough that I convinced my parents to do it. And the ~10 day nag feature is a great reminder that makes them take notice.

And what do you know, 3 months later my mom's HD dies. Took the MacBook to the Apple store and had it replaced under warranty. Came home and restored from the backup. Within 2 hours, everything was up and running and she lost nothing.... which means I didn't have to spend MY weekend rebuilding her machine!

Sure, there are plenty of backup apps out there, but none that are a brain-dead easy for people who look for reasons to NOT backup.

Ichat theater/screen control is worth it too. I have all my relatives set up so if they have a question I can take control of their screen and SHOW them how to fix the problem rather than trying to explain it to them over the phone.

14. dangoland macrumors member

Leopard is worth it with or without an iphone. This aint Microsoft Windows, updates and upgrades tend to be good.

15. iphonematt Guest

It is worth upgrading to Leopard just for Leopard.... what features does the iPhone lack when running on Tiger anyways? Just get Leopard... it is stable enough now to use as your main OS.

16. rayward macrumors 68000

Two words: Time Machine.

17. elbirth macrumors 65816

"now" ?

I upgraded to Leopard at around noon the day it was released and have had almost no issues at all this entire time. The only notable problem I've had was my airport connection would randomly drop after the 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 update, but an airport fix was released and it's been great ever since. I never reboot this machine unless it's required by an update.

18. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

It's worth upgrading to Leopard even if you don't buy an iPhone :apple:

19. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Mail.app is far more stable in Tiger then Leopard, I can't believe they still haven't fixed the receiving lockup issue.