Is it worth upgrading to Office '08 from '04?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by one1, Jan 29, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I am about to purchase Microsoft Office '08 IF I can justify it. I have became acquainted with '04 over the last few years and I feel like I know my way around it and I am comfortable with it. I figure things have changed in '08 and if the changes are not useful I'd rather not have to relearn a new system.

Who has upgraded to '08 from '04 and has some insight on the differences?

~TIA

2. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I have upgraded from 08 to 04, but as far as the insight, i'll probably have to pass. I haven't noticed much different other than the look and feel for it.

3. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

I made the jump as well. Other than some visual things, there isn't much of a difference. If there is a trial download out there, I would recommend that first.

4. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good stuff, thanks guys. I am interested in functionality, but if it's just looks that doesn't help it just makes me have to relearn controls and provides a hindrance.

I also have iWork '06 and have declined to upgrade to '08 based on feature upgrades I didn't think justified re-purchasing the software.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

It's alot faster since it is universal. But I haven't noticed alot of functionality change.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

afaik there wasn't much functionality added in, and in some cases some was removed. depends on your uses, but if you're a light user, might be better saving your money for now.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

to the op, if you're using office from the macbook in your sig, i think upgrading to office 2008 is a good idea simply because it is a universal app. it'll be more responsive and less demanding on memory.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I recently purchased my MacBook and really not in the market to repurchase all my PC software for my Mac. But, of course there are certain items I need. Is there a way to purchase older versions of Mac Office? Or, are only the new versions available?

9. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded - but I wish I hadn't... Now when I export a Keynote presentation to PowerPoint format and try to open it with PowerPoint '08 - it won't open. PowerPoint "thinks" a while, and hen either stops opening or outright crashes. Nice. The funny thing is - PPT '04 had no issues with this. I might actually reload the old version!

10. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

"I also have iWork '06 and have declined to upgrade to '08 based on feature upgrades I didn't think justified re-purchasing the software.[/QUOTE]

I did upgrade to iWork 08 and have been very happy that I did. I think it is much more useful. Keynote is awesome, Pages is more useful and while I'm still using excel, I've begun to wean myself off in favor of Numbers which is fine for basic spreadsheet use.

I've been considering the upgrade as well, I've got a G5 iMac and MB C2D 2.0, Office works fine for me right now. I've not read many people's reviews who were blown away by Office 08, other than the speed increase. And since I still can't type faster than Word can keep up, I'm fine for now.

Coachingguy

11. leduc macrumors newbie