Is it worth upgrading to the latest Apple Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jerwin, Dec 16, 2015.

1. jerwin macrumors 65816

I have themodel that came with my 2014 retina Imac. It's OK, I guess. Worth not having a tail, but the batteries last about a week-- Maybe the mouse never goes into sleep mode as a result of it being used on my glossy white desk.

I'm tired of changing batteries-- and am thinking of changing it out for another version with built in batteries. Is the newest Apple mouse any good? Are there third party brands that are far superior to either Apple mouse?

2. kazibole macrumors member

My biggest complaint about the new Magic Mouse 2 is that you cannot use the mouse while charging, due to the location and orientation of the lightning port.

3. jerwin thread starter macrumors 65816

How long does it take to charge?

4. iceman42 macrumors regular

2 minutes charge will give you 9 hours of use and 2 hours to fully charge the mouse for a month or more

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So lay it upside down with a lighting cable....when you go to bed. I am totally lost at wanting to charge it while in use....you might as well have wired mouse.

6. jerwin thread starter macrumors 65816

There are portable devices where the very presence of a power cord precludes its purported functionality-- a car, a wheelchair.

There are devices which are seriously impaired by the presence of power cords-- the apple pencil, cell phones, an ipad, an e reader.

There are devices in which some functionality is lost when a power cord is used-- a laptop comes to mind. Perhaps a boombox.

A wireless mouse has some advantages over a wired one, but the cable isn't that limiting. Ocassionally, it subtly limits how I can use it. ans it does take up a usb port. But putting the charging port on the bottom moves the mouse from the last category to the first.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

My mouse and I recharge at night and work during the day. Only rust never sleeps.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My wife and I got the new mouse. Neither of our macs have BT4 so we expected to have less battery life. Even so we are getting 2+ weeks off a charge. About every week or so I just plug it in before going to bed.

We had battery cover problems with our old mice. That problem is now gone.